Sam's Club Shoppers: Question About Flours

Baking By lrlt2000 Updated 6 May 2012 , 1:06am by Emma37

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 5 May 2012 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 6

Wasn't sure where to post this!!

I've never bought in bulk before, and don't know which wholesalers to use/trust, so I was thinking of first trying to buy ingredients from Sam's Club. But it doesn't sell "cake" or "pastry" flour. What do others use from Sam's for cakes??

Thanks,
Leigh

5 replies
brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 5 May 2012 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 6

Sam's has competitive wholesale prices for butter, vanilla, sugar, cocoa, brown sugar, Ghirardelli chocolate chips, and eggs. I have to go to Restaurant Depot for cake flour and buttermilk.

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 5 May 2012 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 6

So you do not use Sam's flours at all? Why, are they not good enough? That's what I'm wondering icon_wink.gif

brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 6 May 2012 , 12:14am
post #4 of 6

No, I do not use them, but not because of quality. My recipes are based on cake flour. I have not had much luck in converting to AP or self-rising flour. It changes the texture and crumb of my cakes. So I stick with cake flour.

If your recipes are based on cake flour, I would suggest trying to convert it first before getting a huge bag of AP or self-rising from Sam's.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 May 2012 , 12:47am
post #5 of 6

I never use any off brand products, so in the past, the only products I could get a Sam's were sour cream (Daisy), cream cheese (Philadelphia), eggs, and sugar (Domino).

This week Sam's finally had Gold Medal flour in10 lb bags.

BUT... I use the Domino sugar from Sam's and even though the package is the exact same, the product is far inferior to the grocery store bags. I can only use it in my candy making where i melt it. It has very uneven granules and some are as big as my little fingernail.

The Domino's powdered sugar is the same.

Look closely because the Sam's prices in bulk are often the same prices as Walmart in regular packages. The sugar is an example. Both are about .69/lb.

I haven't used the flour yet, but when I do, I will report if it looks and acts the same.

By the way, Sam's eggs are a good price if you use alot. They are older with an expiration of only about two weeks out for 90. But the price is about $8.00. I go through several hundred a week so it works for me.

Emma37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emma37 Posted 6 May 2012 , 1:06am
post #6 of 6

I buy the 25lb. bad of bread flour from Sams every 2 weeks. I use it for all my baking EXCEPT a recipe that specifically calls for 'cake flour' -- then I use Swans Down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%