Chocolate Mud Cake Without Coffee Recipe?

Baking By sammyj Updated 4 May 2012 , 8:26am by LisaPeps

sammyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammyj Posted 4 May 2012 , 3:49am
post #1 of 3

I'm stuck trying to find a good chocolate mud cake recipe that does not contain coffee that is able to hold together well under decoration weight and doesn't taste like it came from a box, that is rich and dense! I've so far trialed 4 different recipes, all 4 were the worst tasting mud cakes I have ever made, 2 of which broke apart at the slightest touch! 1 was dry and the other was more like a standard chocolate cake consistency rather than a usual mud texture.

I have my usual choc-mud recipe but it just doesn't come up to scratch without the coffee in it and the wedding its for has specifically requested no coffee due to allergies but they want it to be rich in flavor! Does anyone have a recipe that works?

2 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 4 May 2012 , 5:27am
post #2 of 3

Where are you located?

This is the one I use - it's in metric measurements. It has coffee in it, but it also has cocoa powder, and I have left out the coffee, and it's just as good.

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/chocolate-mud-cake-recipe.html

It's pretty tough to handle, but you need to let it cool completely in the tin before trying to remove it. It's also more rich, dense and easy to handle after freezing.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 4 May 2012 , 8:26am
post #3 of 3

Is there a reason you need to omit the coffee?

This is the recipe I use, it was posted by one of the Aussie ladies on here can't remember who though because it was so long ago!

250g unsalted butter
1/2 tbsp coffee (I use a strong espresso powder)
1/2 tbsp whisky (I use Jack Daniels)
400ml coconut milk
250g dark chocolate
16oz caster sugar
6oz self raising flour
8oz plain flour
2oz cocoa powder
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract (I use homemade, just make sure it's a good quality extract)

1. Preheat oven to 150C/275-300F (this recipe has to be baked slowly, very important!!)
2. Combine first 6 ingredients (butter - sugar) in a saucepan, heat gently and stir regularly until melted. Set aside to cool.
3. Sift dry ingredients in a bowl, add chocolate mixture, whisk until combined. Add eggs and vanilla, whisk. (If the mixture is too hot the eggs could scramble)
4. Pour into greased and lined tins
5. Bake for about 1 hr 45 mins.
6. Remove and cool in tin.

I think it makes 2 8" rounds.

I would sub the coffee for an extra 1/2 tbsp of whiskey. The coffee and whisky are only there to intensify the chocolate flavour, you really shouldn't taste either. Make sure you use a good quality chocolate which is around the 70% cocoa mark.

Let me know how you get on if you try it. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%