New York And Home "bakery"

Business By citygirldesserts Updated 3 May 2012 , 12:23pm by MimiFix

citygirldesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
citygirldesserts Posted 2 May 2012 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 3

Was looking though the dept of agriculture "home processor" info and was wondering if anyone has gone through the process. If you have what borough or county you are in and experience, Thanks!

2 replies
SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 3 May 2012 , 12:47am
post #2 of 3

I live in Orleans County and went thru my local Department of Health to become certified. They have told me that if I decide to do wholesale or internet sales then I need to go thru the Dept. of Ag. I have emailed them with no response. So I will have to try calling which is always fun.
My process took about 6 months before everything was approved. I built a seperate bakery within my basement with all seperate appliances, everything. I then got my inspection through the local department of health and that happens once a year. I then have to go to my local town board and county board to get it voted on and approved. Because I ive in residential, my property needed to be converted to commercial, which it now is. So I was told that now I am save if I want to build a storefront right on my property, which my husband is planning on building a seperate building for me in the next few years. Once I am able to get ahold of the Dept. Of Ag, they will come to my house and do their own inspection.
When I first thought about doing the "bakery", the man that answered the phone at the Department of Health was trying to convince me that it is way too much work to even bother with it. But I went into the office and spoke with the female inspector, she was nothing but encouraging. Hopefully in your area you will have someone that is willing to help you and encourage you. They are there to help as well.
Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions. Hope this helped! It was a long process but I believe worth it. I am now able to quit my fulltime job to stay home with my kids and still bring in some extra income.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 3 May 2012 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 3

Many of my students live in NYC and now have the Home Processor permit from Ag&Mkts. Their webpage is not easy to understand, but if you call either their NYC office (71icon_cool.gif 722-2876 or the Albany office (51icon_cool.gif 457-5459 an inspector can answer your questions. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%