I Need Advice From Seasoned Wilton Instuctors

Business By frosting111 Updated 11 May 2012 , 3:35pm by TexasSugar

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 2 May 2012 , 12:27am
post #1 of 9

Im going to start teaching the WMI classes in June and 100% brand new to this method of teaching cake decorating, any advice you can give me to get started would be highly appreciated.

I sat up till 2:am watching the WMI videos, going over all the links in the web site and trying to learn as much as I can before actually walking in the class room for the first time as the teacher. I took the first 3 courses last year and applied to teach afterwards.

How should I do a demo for the grand opening of the new store, advertise, schedule the classes, etc....just ANY advice you can share with me would help me to get started off on the right path.

Hows the best way to order supplies for the classes, do the tracking sheets, just anything you can think of.

Thanks in advance, Mary =)

8 replies
frosting111 Posted 2 May 2012 , 3:53am
post #2 of 9

Anyone =(

meggsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggsie Posted 2 May 2012 , 4:29am
post #3 of 9

I am also a new instructor...
I am going to do my first demo tomorrow to try and help promote the project classes (the main reason I was hired and for course 1)

TO make it simple and straight to the point

Course 1 and cupcake class - Just take about 12 cupcakes, your practice board, icing, a few bags with icing ready to go with your tips, cupcake stand, and maybe your flower nail or something.

Pops Class - Take some pops already decorated as they would learn in the class and put them on the pop stand decorated cute. Take a bag with chocolate in it that you can heat up really quick before you start. Also take piping gel, sprinkles, little eye balls ect. Just decorate the pops while there. Take your time so that it lasts the full 2 hours.

Kids cake fondant class - Maybe have a cake dummy or real cake for display of what the ids will learn. For the demo part - roll fondant and cut the flowers, ice cupcakes, and have your cupcake stand to display as you finish them

Fondant courses - Just make the different flowers while sitting there.

Course 2 - Also just make flowers and maybe put them on a cake for the finished project

If possible let the people that come by and are interested use your bag to make a star on your practice board or maybe try the 1M tip on a cupcake ect.

Always promote others classes other than what you are giving the demo on. Have lesson plans for all of the courses there so that when you are doing a demo for the fondant class let them know they need to take course 1 and that it is a lot of fun and very informational. Show lesson plan.

idk what else... those are just some of the things I have been thinking about! icon_smile.gif
GOOD LUCK! Let me know your ideas and stuff also please! icon_smile.gif

frosting111 Posted 2 May 2012 , 4:38am
post #4 of 9

Great advice and tips you gave me, Thanks for your reply, Im taking notes! =)

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 May 2012 , 5:23am
post #5 of 9

You may also wish to post this question in the Wilton.com General Information discussion forum. There are quite a few Wilton instructors that frequently contribute to the site.

http://www.wilton.com/forums/categories.cfm?catid=8

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 May 2012 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 9

You should join the WMI Yahoo group. icon_smile.gif http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WiltonMI/

Send an email to this address and tell Selina you are a new instructor. She'll ask you a few questions then get you set up on the group.
[email protected]

What store will you be teaching at?

KohakuMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KohakuMoon Posted 10 May 2012 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 9

Congrats on becoming a Wmi! Sounds like you are already starting on the right path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggsie

You posted some great pointers, and congrats to you also.

frosting111 Posted 10 May 2012 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

You should join the WMI Yahoo group. icon_smile.gif http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WiltonMI/

Send an email to this address and tell Selina you are a new instructor. She'll ask you a few questions then get you set up on the group.
[email protected]

What store will you be teaching at?

Thanks, I joined the Yahoo Group, wow, great place..Thank you for the link!!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 May 2012 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 9

You are welcome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%