Covering Ganche With Fondant - Couple Questions

Decorating By SweetTreatsbyJess Updated 4 May 2012 , 12:26pm by Chellescakes

SweetTreatsbyJess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatsbyJess Posted 1 May 2012 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 8

So after reading bunches on how great fondant looks atop of ganache and how sharp you can get the edges I decided to give it a try. I was super excited as my ganached cakes looked great with super sharp edges. (In my pics if you want to see). Then I attempted to cover in fondant and things went down hill icon_sad.gif I have never had so much trouble covering a cake in fondant before. First off the rim started cracking/tearing. I've done my research and many said to use 1/8 inch think fondant - just thin enough so you wouldn't see through the white fondant. I even went out and bought the rings to make sure I had it right! Is it possible the edges were too sharp and were tearing right through the fondant?? My second oops was the ganache was seeping out the bottom of the cake and chocolate was getting everywhere. The tutorial I was trying to follow was Inspired by Michelle. She uses a pretty think cake board but I couldn't find one like that so I used the basic cake board. Sorry so long just trying to give as much detail as possible. Hopefully somebody has come across this before and can help me out!! Please icon_smile.gif

7 replies
debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 1 May 2012 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 8

For the problem at the edge, I usually make sure the top is smoothed out and quickly go around the top edge abour 1/4" down to seal the fondant to the cake before doing the sides. That way the weight of the fondant doesn't tear at the edges. And also, maybe the type of fondant you are using needs to be a little thicker. All types of fondant act a little differently. I use homemade marshmallow fondant and usually have pretty good luck with it. I used Satin Ice once for a large wedding cake and noticed it had a tendancy to crack. Not really tear, just crack, like it was dry.

Sounds like you need to chill the ganache covered cake a little longer before covering. That could be why the chocolate was seeping out the bottom. Also make sure your chocolate to cream ratio is proper so it sets firm enough. For dark chocolate it should be 2:1 chocolate/cream and for white chocolate it should be 3:1.

Hopefully that will help you. It may take you some practice. Almost all of my cakes are covered in ganache under fondant since I learned about it over a year ago.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 2 May 2012 , 11:35am
post #3 of 8

I saw your ganache photos the other day. It looked pretty firm - I'm not sure how it could have been seeping anywhere. Did you spray with water or anything like that? As the previous poster said, sometimes, you need to quickly adhere the fondant to the top edge quickly before it tears.

SweetTreatsbyJess Posted 2 May 2012 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 8

Oops didn't know I had any responses. Maybe I shouldn't have said seeping..First I applied a coating of warm water then covered it. It was fine until I tried to smooth it like the tutorial I was watching. She swiftly moves the smoother up and down the sides of the cake. You can even hear it banging against the table. icon_smile.gif Thats when the ganache started to escape..Maybe I pushed to hard or too much??

SweetTreatsbyJess Posted 2 May 2012 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the tip on the edges I will definitely try that next time.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 2 May 2012 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 8

I use a damp paper towel to pat on some cold water. The cake should be just damp - no drops of water anywhere. I wonder if the warm water melted your ganache a bit, and perhaps there was a bit too much water? I usually wipe the board, or bench around the cake dry and rub a bit of cornflour on it to make sure it's is completely dry as well before applying fondant.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 4 May 2012 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 8

I use sugar syrup under my fondant to stick it to the ganache. I wipe most of it off with a paper towel before I the fondant on , make sure your fondant is the right size for the cake if it is too much bigger than what you need it will drag and pull and can tear. I secure the top and the top inch and then I use an upward motion moving downwards from the secured to securing the side before I start with the smoothers. You just use a light pressure. and keep working it until you are happy with the shape and edges.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 4 May 2012 , 12:26pm
post #8 of 8

I use sugar syrup under my fondant to stick it to the ganache. I wipe most of it off with a paper towel before I the fondant on , make sure your fondant is the right size for the cake if it is too much bigger than what you need it will drag and pull and can tear. I secure the top and the top inch and then I use an upward motion moving downwards from the secured to securing the side before I start with the smoothers. You just use a light pressure. and keep working it until you are happy with the shape and edges.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%