How Would You Make An Owl Cake With Wings Spread Open?

Decorating By homemaluhia Updated 1 May 2012 , 6:49pm by homemaluhia

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 1 May 2012 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 4

I have a request for a 3D cake for a graduation in June. The school's mascot/logo is an owl with its wings spread open. I can figure out the internal structure for the body of the owl but haven't found (or gotten answers back ) for the wings.

Any ideas, hints, suggestions? Thanks!!

3 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 1 May 2012 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 4

When I read your post I remembered an episode of Cake Boss where they made a big Phoenix cake, and the phoenix had its wings open.
I found it on Youtube, and they actually use cardboard! They have PVC pipe, cardboard cutouts for the wings and then they cover it with modelling choc.

There is the link,

HTH icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 1 May 2012 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 4

I would stick one long dowel all the way through the cake, placed in an area where the center of it can rest on a supporting cake board.

Hard to explain: Like a 2-tiered cake, the bottom half (or 2/3) of the owl is the bottom tier, the top half (or 1/3) of the cake is the second tier. You'll want that dowel to rest on top of the cake board of the top tier for maximum support.

So cover the owl in fondant first (or buttercream, THEN stick the long dowel through so that both ends of the dowel are sticking out either side of the owl. Attach wings to the dowel.

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 1 May 2012 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 4

Wow!! Thanks, JamAndButtercream and MacsMom!! Fantastic. I am so grateful!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%