Fondant Gathering

Decorating By peisenberg Updated 1 May 2012 , 5:06am by DianeLM

peisenberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peisenberg Posted 1 May 2012 , 3:40am
post #1 of 2

I'm going to make a wedding cake and was thinking about having the bottom layer covered in a textured fondant that is gathered so that it look like a skirted table. I'm attaching a photo that will show what I mean. Is this done by rolling the fondant into a rectangle and then gathering it on the top of the cake, or do I need to shape the fondant on something prior to putting it on the cake (I've seen some of the tutorials for making swags using dowels). Should I use 1 long piece, or several pieces with the seams hidden in the folds? Also, how should I secure the fondant on the top of the cake. Underneath I have a non-crusting meringue buttercream (all butter). Thanks for any help.

1 reply
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 1 May 2012 , 5:06am
post #2 of 2

It's done with separate panels layered on one another with the edges folded under. Each panel is no more than a couple of inches wide. Once you start putting them on the cake, you'll understand why. icon_smile.gif

You can attach with gum glue, royal icing, melted chocolate or piping gel. Your panels should be rolled fairly thin, so they won't be very heavy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%