How To Get A Smooth Fondant And Not Lumpy

Decorating By sunshinelala Updated 1 May 2012 , 1:52am by faithc24

sunshinelala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunshinelala Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 3

I make the marshmellow fondant and it turns out lumpy. I sift the icing sugar and yet when I mix the marshmellow and icing together i can see lumps of sugar in there. Why does this happen and how can I get rid of them once this happens??

Thanks

2 replies
countrygal7782 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygal7782 Posted 1 May 2012 , 1:01am
post #2 of 3

I dont know if any of these will help, but these are the best guesses I have.
First make sure you are pouring your melted marshmallow in to the sugar, not the sugar in to the marshmallow. I melt my marshamallow in a glass bowl in the microwave and pour about 3/4 of the sugar in another bowl and make a well in the center. Then pour the melted marshmallow in the well and mix as much as I can with a spatula. I then dust the countertop with the remaining sugar and dump the mixture out on the couter and kneed the rest of the sugar in. If it starts to get too hard to work with I put it back in the microwave for about 30-40 seconds until it softens up again and keep kneeding until its all mixed good.
Second, dont use the same bowls to make the next batch unless you wash them first. Continually using the same bowl will cause dryed pieces of sugar and marshmallow to get in to the new batch and no matter how much you kneed you cant get them out.
Hope these help!

faithc24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faithc24 Posted 1 May 2012 , 1:52am
post #3 of 3

I follow Peggy's process. Although I use a kitchen aid mixer works every time! http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%