Cake Decorating In The Uk

Business By Lilmzbubbles Updated 8 May 2012 , 3:41pm by flowergirl1

Lilmzbubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lilmzbubbles Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 9

hi, I'm thinking of starting a home cake decorating business but I 2 cats and I was wondering if its still possible to do

8 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 9

Hi! I live in the UK too! but I don't have a business yet, I'm on a cake decorating course at the moment.

There is a home bakery up the road from me and I know for a fact that they own two dogs.
Have you seen the new ratings system for catering businesses? you can find out about it here,
http://ratings.food.gov.uk/
Basically the business has an inspection, and is rated 0 to 5, 5 being the best.
The bakery up the road from me has a 5 star rating, even though they have two dogs.
Obviously the area the cakes are baked, decorated and stored would have to be as clean as possible.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

flowergirl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowergirl1 Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 9

would like to think about setting up a buisness in the future,can anyone let me know what happens when inspector comes to visit, what will they be looking for and will i have to do a exam,Thank you.

JamAndButtercream Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 11:53am
post #4 of 9

I'm not sure about an exam, but when an inspector comes they are REALLY thorough! They swab surfaces, they check inside cupboards, utensils, they check the floors, the cooking equipment, they check under counters, they check the sinks, and cleaning utensils, they check in the fridge, they check use by dates on food. Also they check for simple things like if you have running water and hot water!!

Also Flowergirl1 have the seen the link that I put in my post above about the food ratings system? More info should be on that.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

flowergirl1 Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 9

Hi jamAndButtercream,painting my kitchen at the moment,as soon as i get free will look at the post also A big Thank you for letting me knoe what i should expect from the inspection,your a diamond are you in the uk or us.once again thank you. take care.

JamAndButtercream Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 9

@Flowergirl1
Yep I'm from the UK too! Thanks for your Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

P.S Did you see a programme on the BBC a couple of weeks ago called "The Food Inspectors?" It was all about food inspectors going to hotels, burger vans, universities, peoples homes, etc and seeing how clean they were! There is a link to a clip from one of the shows where a health inspector visited a hotel, obviously its different to a private house, but it was interesting to see what they look for,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00q6kmw

flowergirl1 Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks darling,will read up on it now,will let you know when i go for it.x

clairesey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clairesey Posted 8 May 2012 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 9

Great links, cheers thumbs_up.gif

c
x

flowergirl1 Posted 8 May 2012 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 9

Hi jamAndButtercream,
hope your good,had a look at the link you sent the kitchen inspection
I thought it would be like that,I only have a small kitchen,but really If truth be known i really need a bigger one,Iwill see what happens in the future will just have to make do with what i have,anyway keep in touch and if i hear anything i will let you know,were in the uk are you im in london. talk soon take care. x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%