Fondant Wrinkles At Bottom Of Cake After It Sits

Decorating By candycakes51 Updated 27 Apr 2012 , 6:48pm by candycakes51

candycakes51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candycakes51 Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 5

I am using the MMF fondant recipe from this site and I love it, but I am having a problem that I need assistance with. I cover my cakes, smooth out the fondant and trim it right against the edge. Everything looks great for about an hour but then the fondant starts wrinkling at the bottom (apparently the weight of the fondant has caused the cake to shrink?). How do I prevent this? I have tried rolling the fondant out thinner, but I still have the same problem. Any help from you great decorators would be much appreciated.

4 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 5

Are you sure that the fondant isn't the problem? Maybe the fondant is too soft and gravity is pulling it down the cake.

The buttercream isn't too soft is it? and its causing the fondant to slide?

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 5

Also, are you letting your iced cake sit for a while to 'settle' before you cover with fondant? You don't have to put it in the fridge or freezer; but at least let the iced cake rest for an hour or so before covering. That may help.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 5

It was actually my dh who told me that he had heard this from Duff - - cut your fondant a little shorter around the bottom to allow for it settling. Depending on how soft your fondant is, it will stretch a little after you cover your cake. HTH

candycakes51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candycakes51 Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 5

I know that the cake needs to "settle" well before covering, and they are allowed to sit for many hours before being covered. I did notice that the last time I had this problem my fondant did seem softer than usual...so this may be the issue? I don't have it occur every time, so this could be the problem. It is not sliding off, more like it is stretching after it sits. Thanks for the input. I appreciate your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%