Cake Pan Storage/organization

Decorating By meharding Updated 27 Apr 2012 , 5:21pm by DianeLM

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 1:10am
post #1 of 12

My husband and I just downsized from a large home to a 3-bedroom apartment. I had gobs of cabinet space in my kitchen but the apartment is lacking. I am learning to take full advantage of verticle space. I had an idea about using the ~ 18 inch space between the top of the kitchen cabinets and the ceiling by buying wicker baskets and putting the pans in those. There would, of course, be problems with dust, etc with that idea. Do any of you have idea(s) that would be functional but attractive (not sterilite plastic) for storage above the cabinets?

11 replies
MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 1:35am
post #2 of 12

Make covers for the baskets, something like a shower cap but use a pretty fabric. Or you could just use velcro to attach a piece of fabric to the basket. Don't know if that makes since.

meharding Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 1:47am
post #3 of 12

Oh, yes! I do see what you mean. I hadn't thought of that. They could also be washed, which would be nice. Thanks for the idea. Now to find a good source for baskets cheap...lol

tbkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbkimber Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 1:50am
post #4 of 12

You might try Michael's Craft Stores. They usually have baskets on sale in their ads.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 3:19am
post #5 of 12

Try yardsales. I see a ton of baskets at each and they go for pennies.

meharding Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 11:38am
post #6 of 12

Thanks I will check out both. You guys rock!

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 12:27pm
post #7 of 12

I would definitely use Micheals, Hobby Lobby and Joann coupons and get your baskets 40% off. If you want something really sturdy, but pricey, try the Tribeca baskets from the container store. They do have one that has a lid. Sometimes you can find them at Micheals.

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 12:38pm
post #8 of 12

There're no Micheals, Hobby Lobby orJoann 's where I live so I'd suggest just attach a strip of wood above the cupboards and hang a horizontal door. You can use those hinges that let your doors stay-open until you're ready to close them.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 12

Can you make use of one of the bedrooms? Maybe a small cabinet or shelf unit.

I have cake pans in virtually every room of my house! icon_smile.gif

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Can you make use of one of the bedrooms? Maybe a small cabinet or shelf unit.

I have cake pans in virtually every room of my house! icon_smile.gif

When I decided to actually start my business, I had to do a beginning inventory. icon_eek.gif I couldn't believe how much cake stuff I had and it was in every room except the bathroom! I even had pans in those rolling racks under the beds.

meharding Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks everyone. I think all very good ideas! Hadn't thought about the "under the bed" containers either. That would make it easier for a short peson like me. icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 5:21pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by meharding

Thanks everyone. I think all very good ideas! Hadn't thought about the "under the bed" containers either. That would make it easier for a short peson like me. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm also short, so the thought of having to climb the counter whenever a cake pan was needed, sounded awful.

One of the ways I store my large pans is in large plastic containers like this http://www.blogcdn.com/www.diylife.com/media/2010/07/plstic-bin-590.jpg except I don't use the lid because the pans extend past the top of the container. Instead, I top it with another container the same size. This keeps the pans relatively dust-free but I wash before use anyway.

Keep in mind that when you cook on the stove, grease rises and settles on the tops of the cabinets. If you're planning to store anything up there, make sure it's something that can be washed or stored in something that can be washed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%