Tips For Making Ruffled Flowers?

Decorating By jesswat Updated 27 Apr 2012 , 5:44pm by VaBelle

jesswat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesswat Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I'm very new at cake decorating. I am making my Grandparents 50th wedding anniv. cake and I wanted to make something like this.

Should I paint the circles for the flowers gold before I ruffle the edges? Should I make flowers fondant/gumpaste or just all gumpaste? And how would you attach the ruffled flowers to the cake?

Thank you! any other tips would greatly be appreciated!

3 replies
arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 2:25am
post #2 of 4

Elaine MacGreggor has a Youtube video on making carnations. Have a look. If you ruffle it (with a celstick) the way she does, but without all that extra cutting to give the 'ragged edges' you'd get a thick enough edge to paint. As far as I know, you've got to wait for the edges to dry to paint them. Maybe a waterbrush would be best for that many flowers. I'd suggest gumpaste flowers. And for that many flowers, I'd wire them in bunches and then insert each bunch in a tier.

jesswat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesswat Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 4

What a great idea to wire bunches together! Thank you so much for the great tips, I'm going to look for that video icon_smile.gif

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 4

When we made carnations at my Wilton class, after our flowers dried a bit, we poured out some dust on a paper towel, then brushed the edges of the flower with a bit of water or gumpaste glue and then dipped them in the dust. Tap off the excess and wa-la! All done. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%