Getting Back To Cake

Decorating By lenagc Updated 26 Apr 2012 , 6:44pm by lenagc

lenagc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lenagc Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there cake friends, I hope you can help me with this problem, I recently took time off from cake decorating to address what was supposed to be minor health issues, which turned into major surgery with complications. I've been out of the cake loop for 5 months, now I'm having trouble getting back to cake. Health wise I feel fine, but for some reason I feel hesitant, I know this is something I love, and it is my passion, but I feel scared in a way. I've been down so long that I am doubting my abilities. I'm not sure what I should do or how to get my "Cake" groove back. Help!! any suggestions?
Thanks guys love ya.
Lenagc

6 replies
soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 7

Make a cake for yourselft!!! use all the techniques that you know. I am sure it will come out as beautiful as the cakes in your gallery and there will be no pressure and you might get your confidence back. The knowledge is there you know that!
good luck thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

CIAO!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 7

Welcome back - glad you're better.

The only way I can get myself started on something is to just jump in and do it. So just jump in and do it. Stop piddlefarting around and make a cake. Give it to your neighbor or a friend and then start on another one. They don't have to be elaborately decorated - just plain jane will do.

Honestly, if you're not ready to get back into it, you're not ready. Don't rush yourself. Your health issues may have taken more out of you than you realize. Give yourself time to fully recuperate.

OK - there's "tough love" and "sympathetic and understanding" so you can take your pick. icon_wink.gif I really do understand - - if I'm in a certain frame of mind it's very difficult to make myself go into the kitchen and get started on a cake. And I'd rather be messing with cake stuff than just about anything in the world. Go figure.

I realize that's probably not an answer, but we'll be here to listen and give support or fuss at you if that's what you need. Good Luck.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 7

Welcome back, glad to hear you are on the mend. If I were you I'd start with cupcakes or even a little 6" cake. Just make one for you're family. Like soledad said no pressure. Just start with fun easy stuff, you'll get your groove back. Good Luck, your cakes are lovely.

Wishing you all the best. icon_smile.gif

lenagc Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you everyone, I knew I could count on you. I will heed your advice and get back on the horse. Thanks again.
Lenagc

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 10:27am
post #6 of 7

I was listening to a program on the radio the other day about performance anxiety - you know - feeling nervous before giving a speech or going on stage. Turns out it's not just restricted to things like standing in front of a crowd - performance anxiety can affect other creative pursuits like writing or, as it occurred to me when I read your post, cake decorating. It's linked to a fear of being judged. Are you concerned that others will judge your work as not as good as it was before?

A positive is that research suggests that this sort of anxiety can actually help your performance - you might just make the best cake you've ever made...

C.

lenagc Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 7

You know princesscris, I think your right I do fear my work won't be as good as before, but after reading all the kind responses I think my problem has been not the fear of my abilities per say, but the fear of taking an order and getting sick again. I had originally intended to only be out of the loop for a few weeks, but it turned out to be 5 months. Although I do feel healthy now, I think deep down inside I'm afraid I'm going to get sick and won't be able to finish a cake. But after reading all the responses I've decided to do it afraid, take my chances and like you said it just may be the best cake I ever did. Thank you all for taking time to help me I knew you all would know how I felt. Happy baking to you all!!
Lenagc

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%