Buttercream Cake With Fondant Accents?

Decorating By trishalynn0708 Updated 25 Apr 2012 , 5:48pm by trishalynn0708

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 5

I have a polka dot cake I will be doing Saturday... My cake will be covered in buttercream but I am making the polka dots out of fondant... Can anyone tell me the best way to adhere the fondant circles to the cake??

Would like to know before I actually start the cake so I can be prepared. =)

4 replies
jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 5

Just moisten the back of the dots with a very little bit of water (I use a paint brush). Just make sure that you don't cover the cake after decorating...your dots will 'melt' into the BC. (I learned that the hard wayicon_smile.gif

trishalynn0708 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 5

So I shouldn't cover it at all? Even to transport it? Do you suggest that I just set it down in a box so it doesn't slide around, but not cover it? I was planning to get the side out of a box, put the cake in and then wrap the box in saran wrap, but I am guessing I shouldn't do that???

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 5

You can put it in a box; but don't cover it with saran wrap. If the fondant is in something airtight, it will pull in the moisture from the BC and soften to the point of melting. I put fondant polka dots on BC iced cupcakes and then put them in my cupcake carrier (airtight) over night. the next day they looked like they had melted. They were ok and I didn't have to re-do them; but I was very dissapointed in the result and found out later that's what had happened.

trishalynn0708 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones5cm

You can put it in a box; but don't cover it with saran wrap. If the fondant is in something airtight, it will pull in the moisture from the BC and soften to the point of melting. I put fondant polka dots on BC iced cupcakes and then put them in my cupcake carrier (airtight) over night. the next day they looked like they had melted. They were ok and I didn't have to re-do them; but I was very dissapointed in the result and found out later that's what had happened.

Thank you for letting me know! I'm really glad that I asked in advance!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%