Need Help With Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe Please

Baking By vickim6948 Updated 26 Apr 2012 , 1:15am by vickim6948

vickim6948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickim6948 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 12:48am
post #1 of 5

I have a request for a cake that is chocolate pound cake. If anyone has one they can share, I would appreciate it. I have seen a few pound cake recipes on here, but nothing with suggestions for making it choc. Thanks in advanced!

4 replies
dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 5

Here is the one I've used for years. You are welcome to try it. It always turns out really well for me. It's a mild chocolate, but maintains what I've always known as a true pound cake texture. Let the butter and eggs come to room temp, or close before mixing. It bakes well as a layer cake too, if you need it for a decorated cake. Just adjust the cooking time as needed, depending on the size of the pan.

1/2 C Butter
1/2 C Crisco
3 C granulated sugar
5 eggs
3 C plain flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking powder
4 T. cocoa powder
1 C milk
1 T vanilla

Cream together butter, crisco, and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa. Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Add vanilla. Pour into greased and floured tube pan. Bake at 325 degrees for approx. 80 minutes.

vickim6948 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you, I will try this. I need to make a 1/2 sheet of it actually. I will try this weekend in a tube pan though. I appreciate you answering!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 1:06am
post #4 of 5

Does it need to be scratch recipe?
My *original* WASC recipe is perfect. It was developed to be as close to a scratch pound cake as possible but w/o all the fuss and ingredients needed.

vickim6948 Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 1:15am
post #5 of 5

kakeladi- not necessarily. I will look at your recipe. That sounds like it will be right up my alley. I will try it this weekend and sample it for them. I just want something close to a pound cake and their request for choc. I'm actually making a full sheet. 1/2 choc. pound and 1/2 almond pound. It has turned into a little nightmare, as I am doing this only for cost of ingredients for a neighbor. Their son is celebrating his 1st communion and it is my son's best friend. So I figured I would do it for them. Now it has gone from a 1/2 choc 1/2 white cake to a 1/2 and 1/2 pound with filling and fondant. icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%