Oh That Big Bow.....

Decorating By labelle24 Updated 1 May 2012 , 8:18pm by akaivyleaf

labelle24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labelle24 Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 17

I've seen this cake duplicated several times, and it looks like I'm up as one of my brides requested it. Some concerns.......

1. That bow, any suggestions as to the best way to make sure it isn't overly fragile, and how to best attach it to the cake?

2. The ribbon around the bottom tier, I explained to her that it looked real to me, but she was adamant that she wanted it to be edible. I was planing on adding some texture to a strip of fondant and painting it with gold lustre dust, do think that's the best idea?

3. The texture in the top and bottom tiers, do you just use the veining tool to create this look?

Thanks in advance for your input!

http://weddings.theknot.com/Real-Weddings/81995/detailview.aspx?type=3&id=81995&STOPREDIRECTING=TRUE&wedding%20details=Cake&pageIndex=4&PgReferrer=results.aspx[url][/url]
LL

16 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 4:39am
post #3 of 17

I've been thinking about that texture having seen it on a couple of cakes. I wondered if wrapping something around the cake (smooth twine?) would be easier than free hand. Could then refine the lines after the initial imprint.

akaivyleaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akaivyleaf Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 17

If I wrapped something around, I think I would rather use plastic wrap (Saran wrap or other food grade material) than twine of some sort. Plus plastic wrap would do the area one time, as I can see twine being more time consuming.

labelle24 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 17

These stupid ads are covering up most of your advice (and the thread that you attached) but basically you didn't make the bow ahead of time, and draped it on the cake....were there any skewers or did you just attach everything with royal icing?

How about the texture, what did you use for that?

Coincidentally my bride wanted rhinestones as well, I didn't think that's what they were on the original cake.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 17

If I were making this one (and thank goodness I'm not) I would wire the bow and flowers together and tuck the wires between the tiers. You wouldn't have to worry about them falling off. thumbs_up.gif

KoryAK Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 17

Was that for me Labelle? Try the link again today, the ads will probably be different icon_smile.gif

Anyway, yes I just made and applied the bow all at once. I think the ribbon or the original cake is real but my bride wanted edible so that's what you see on mine. I dug the lines all over in with a liner tool, it really is very easy.

labelle24 Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 17

Thanks for the tips everyone! It's for this Saturday so I'll make sure to post pics of the final product!

labelle24 Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 17

Well, I made it. I have to say that I do wish I would have made the bow at the beginning of the week though so it could have hardened completely. The first time I attached it it tore and fell off - this was the day before the wedding. Needless to say I was stressing. I added a crap ton of tylose to some gumpaste and attached it literally an hour before I had to deliver it. I did deliver it on the pedestal with the bow already attached. It made it and stayed put : ) The bride was very happy.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 17

Wow! You did a gorgeous job!

Momofjaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjaic Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 4:10pm
post #11 of 17

Good job!!

KoryAK Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 7:49pm
post #12 of 17

Beautiful job!

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 8:11pm
post #13 of 17

Wow, that is gorgeous. Great job!!

labelle24 Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 8:49pm
post #14 of 17

thanks everyone! I'll be happy if I never have to make a bow that big again though! icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 May 2012 , 12:30pm
post #15 of 17

I have to make that same cake in a couple of weeks...

labelle24 Posted 1 May 2012 , 6:21pm
post #16 of 17

good luck! Cant wait to see pictures....what a popular design icon_biggrin.gif

akaivyleaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akaivyleaf Posted 1 May 2012 , 8:18pm
post #17 of 17

Beautiful job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%