What Do You Deliver/send Out Your Tiered Or 3D Cakes In?

Business By CupcakeQT82 Updated 16 Jan 2013 , 4:21am by heartsnsync

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 26

So I really like making even my cake box look pretty. However, lately it's been hard for me to figure out how to package a cake that is either tiered or 3D which you cannot put a lid on. I have customer who occasionally pick up their cake and prefer to do so but then the transportation becomes an issue because they themselves cannot assemble a tiered cake or even a 3D cake. So how do you approach this?
*Please no responses that you just deliver yourself. I would if I could but can't always*

25 replies
nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 26

Hi! I have had just a couple pick up and for the tiered cakes, I get a large, new cardboard box from walmart. I cut one side completely off to slide the cake in. I then have used saran wrap to cover the top and front from debris and bugs. I have also covered the ugly brown with card stock, something pretty! icon_biggrin.gif HTH. Oh, and make sure you use the shelf liner under your cake board to prevent slipping. I also give a piece to the customer to place the box on in the car. icon_biggrin.gif

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 26

If I were you I would never give a cake to someone that needed to be assembled that would get very complicated on your end. If people would rather pick up there cakes you should have a clause in your contract that once the cake leaves your possession you are no longer liable for the damages that may be caused due to transportation. Just inform them on how to properly transport it. Thats really all you could do.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 26

I have come up with a solution for 3D and two tier cakes that works perfectly. For instance, if my bottom tier is going to have a 14" board, I buy a 14" box that is 14x14x6". I then measure my cake to determine how high it is going to be and then add about 2" additional to that measurement. So, if my cake height measurement ends up being 12" I cut the side flaps of the top of the box at 6" to come up with the 12" height (6" of the bottom side of the box plus 6" up the side flap from where it connects to the box). Make the cuts on both side flaps of the top of the box. Now, fold the top right across so that now the top of your box is folded at the same place where your cuts are made. Tape where the folds meet the rest of the top. I then tape the top flap to the bottom of the box sides so that you end up with a "roof" like structure with the top not going all the way across the top of the box. If additional support is needed to insure the new box "roof" stays put and does not wobble, I often tape Popsicle sticks to the inside of the box going across where the side and the new "roof" top meet.

Next, use clear wrap film that comes in a roll ( and cut a piece big enough to be adhered to the top box "roof" and then come down across the opening to be adhered to the front of the box. Only tape the top of the clear wrap and fold it back until you have inserted your cake. Once your cake is inserted, then drop it down and tape it into place and neatly fold back the sides like you are wrapping a package and tape it into place. I then put my bakery logo on the top of the roof and another one on the very front bottom of the box. Sometimes I even add a bow to the top of the box.

The neat thing about this presentation is it is entirely professional looking, is nice and neat, and gives a view window into the creation. The view window works perfectly for delivery especially if the cake is being further transported by the customer. The customer can see the creation and yet it is protected from dirt, dust, rain, etc. I even delivered a cake boxed like this in a sleet/ice pellet pelting back in February with no ill effects at all to the cake. HTH

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 26

heartsnsync, do you happen to have a picture? This sounds neat, but unfortunately I'm a visual learner (never been able to learn by written or oral directions) and have no idea how to replicate what you just said! LOL

heartsnsync Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 26

I am a visual learner, too so I completely understand! icon_biggrin.gif I have a two tier cake delivery this Saturday so I will take a picture of it then and post it here for you.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsnsync

I am a visual learner, too so I completely understand! icon_biggrin.gif I have a two tier cake delivery this Saturday so I will take a picture of it then and post it here for you.

I'll be watching for your pic too. I'm always trying to figure out the best way to deliver my cakes too. Thanks... icon_smile.gif

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 26
Quote:

Yes, please take a pic!! I am not understanding!! icon_smile.gif

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 10:36pm
post #9 of 26

Walmart box. Assemble one end, and turn box on on it's side. Put piece of non stick down. Slide cake in. Packing tape the open end closed. Done.

myxstorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myxstorie Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 12:44am
post #10 of 26

I just use these regular box extenders... no idea of the availability outside the UK, but I've made my own before out of thick cardstock and taped them to the inside of the bottom part of the box. And cover the gaps with saran wrap, of course. The front and back of the box are really easy to un-hinge too so that the cake can just be slid out.

http://www.sugarshack.co.uk/presentation/cakes/boxes/extension-corner-cards.html

heartsnsync Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 12:58am
post #11 of 26

Okay, here are the pictures from my two tier cake delivery today. This is a particularly tall two tier because of the fondant palm trees on top. It was 14" tall so I had to give a two inch head room thus my box "roof" was 16" tall. Normally the "roof" extends more over the cake. In any event, this gives you a visual on how I box up my two tier and 3D cakes. icon_smile.gif
LL

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 1:29am
post #12 of 26

I tried what nicunurse does for the first time today. Youtube has a great video which helped me understand the concept. I didn't cut off the flaps. Let me see if I can find the video for you.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 1:31am
post #13 of 26
Quote:

Okay, here are the pictures from my two tier cake delivery today. This is a particularly tall two tier because of the fondant palm trees on top. It was 14" tall so I had to give a two inch head room thus my box "roof" was 16" tall. Normally the "roof" extends more over the cake. In any event, this gives you a visual on how I box up my two tier and 3D cakes. icon_smile.gif

How do you keep the lid up and did you use wrap?

heartsnsync Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 1:53am
post #14 of 26

There is a post by me earlier in this topic wherein I give explicit details of how I create this. The top is kept up by cutting to size, folding over, and taping the end of the top flaps to the bottom of the box. For extra stability I sometimes add popsicle sticks also to the joining location - this cake today was one of those times. If you look closely you will see where the lid is joined and the popsicle sticks are taped in place for support.

heartsnsync Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 1:54am
post #15 of 26

Here is another picture from the side. Hope this helps visualize what I did some more!
LL

ShaunaNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunaNicole Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 5:15pm
post #16 of 26

Thank you for this post!!  I was really stressed about a cake I have to package.  Thanks for the visual!!

tykesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tykesmommy Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 4:32am
post #17 of 26

AThank you!! I have a 2 tier cake that the customer wants to pick up herself so this is wonderful!!

mydearbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mydearbakes Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 4:10am
post #18 of 26

Gosh, thanks for sharing heartsnsync! Finally found the solution to deliver 2 tier cakes! =)

heartsnsync Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 3:52am
post #19 of 26

You are welcome! I was stumped myself and did not want to eat into my profits either so this is what I came up with.  I use this method on all two tiered cakes or cakes taller than what will fit in a standard cake box.

Bomatebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bomatebaker Posted 3 Dec 2012 , 7:42am
post #20 of 26

Wow! Thanks a million heartsnsync!! This will help a great deal.

I didn't want to spend extra on those taller boxes.

Nixs247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nixs247 Posted 3 Dec 2012 , 9:45am
post #21 of 26

Thank you for sharing Heartsnsync!!! So helpful especially with the visual pictures you have kindly submitted...

In the UK mentioned by someone else with have Cake Extenders which normally have to be supported with something else to prevent the wobble effect.

I've also seen on this site that from you guys in the States something you call "Cake Safe" which we don't have in the UK, but I think its expensive (from what I read)....so I prefer Heartsnsync method any day which is very cost effective.

HTH

JenFailla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenFailla Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 7:28pm
post #22 of 26

AThank you for this

heartsnsync Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 12:53am
post #23 of 26

Glad I could help. Believe me, I was glad I figured something out as all those extra gadgets eat into the profits don't they? icon_eek.gif

crazygrammie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazygrammie Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 4:05pm
post #24 of 26

curious, you are not using 'saran' type wrap are you? is this cellophane like for easter baskets?

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 6:13pm
post #25 of 26

ABakeabox sells tiered cake boxes http://bakeabox.com/tiered-cake-boxes/

heartsnsync Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 4:21am
post #26 of 26

Yes, the see through wrap on the front is the wrap like used for gift baskets.  I have been able to find it at the Dollar Tree for $1.00 a roll which usually covers several cakes per roll - very economical.  All in all, using this method usually costs me less than $1.50 per customer delivery which is much cheaper than any specialty boxes or even regular boxes I have priced at suppliers. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%