Opinion Please

Decorating By mjsirhunter Updated 20 Apr 2012 , 6:47pm by ycknits

mjsirhunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjsirhunter Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 6

I made this out of RKT for the sole purpose of decorating and taking a picture for my website. I wasnt able to get it as smooth as I would have liked (i didnt frost under the rolled buttercream) and I dont want to put it on my website and turn people away...lol. What would u do? Does it look good enough to put up? Thanks
LL

5 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 6

It seems like you already know the answer to that question. If you aren't as pleased as punch with it, I wouldn't put it out there as typical of your work, unless your cakes reflect exactly that level of expertise.

It is an investment in your business...I'd take the fondant off, re-cover the RKT with buttercream that is smoothed out, then re-do the fondant. The minor inconvenience of having to re-do this will pay off in a better presentation of your skills to future clients.

cubbycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cubbycakes Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 6

Rolled buttercream? I don't know what that is but why don't you just put a thick layer of fondant over it to get it smooth/er, will save you having to make another one or putting it on you page if your not happy with it

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 6

Is the thin board warped or did you wrap your dinnerware?

I believe presentation is everything at the presentation board it's on doesn't look very professional.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 6

It''s adorable but lumpy. We don't know how you decorate and whether or not this is your best work but you said it didn't come out the best so if you don't have PhotoShop and can't remove the lumps, I would leave it out or make the photo so small, customer's can't pick out the lumps. Too bad too because (like I said) it's really cute.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 6

In my humble opinion, it should be smoother.... and with just a little extra work you can get there. After you shape the RKT, roll/pack the cylinder as hard/tightly as you can. Then cover with a layer of melted candy melts (chocolate wafers). After the chocolate sets up completely, take a food planer/grater and shave off the peaks to make it as smooth as possible. Then add a second thin layer of melted chocolate. Do this a couple times to fill in all the pits and pockets in the RKT and to shave off any peaks.

I have an electric hot knife that I also use for final smoothing when necessaary for really smooth surfaces. You can do the same with a knife or spatula dipped in boiling water that has been wiped dry and then used to smooth.

When I'm ready to apply the fondant to the surface, I rub a coating of solid shortening on my hands and then rub them on the article to be covered, transferring just a thin layer of shortening to the article. This provides a little "stick" but not so much that you can't slide/reposition the fondant.... and it won't drip or soften the fondant like water, etc.

I've had really great results with this method and hope you do, too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%