Cheesecake Not In A Springform Pan

Baking By kricket Updated 22 Apr 2012 , 6:31am by pmarks0

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 4:22am
post #1 of 6

Any tips on baking cheesecake in just regular round cake pans? You know, with homemade graham crust. How do you get it out of the pan in one piece and onto a cardboard round? Any hints, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

5 replies
PumpkinTart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PumpkinTart Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 4:46am
post #2 of 6

You put it in the pan the same way you would with a springform pan (i.e. crust on the bottom, fill with cream cheese mixture), bake it and cool completely, then freeze.

To get it out of the pan, heat the sides by rolling the sides of the pan over a lit gas burner until you feel it release in the pan a little. You don't want to melt it, obviously, but just a little bit of heating the sides of the frozen pan releases it. Place a carboard round on top of the cheesecake, invert the pan and smack against a counter until it comes out, then invert again onto another cake round.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 5:23am
post #3 of 6

Alton Brown has a recipe for a sourcream cheesecake that is to die for! He bakes his in a regular 9" cake pan, 2" sides. I've made this cheesecake lots of times (family's favorite) and never had a problem getting it out of the pan by using a cardboard circle to place over the top of the cheesecake, turn it upside down, then turn it right side up on the serving plate.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 11:33am
post #4 of 6

After chilling the cheesecake for several hours, run a knife around the inside edge. Place a cardboard circle on top, flip, and place another circle on the crust before flipping back. In my cheesecake classes I also suggest that students place a strip of aluminum foil across the bottom (making sure it comes up and over both sides) before pressing in the crust. If the cheesecake resists the flipping method, then a slight tug on the foil will help release the cake.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 5:15am
post #5 of 6

Junior's Cheesecakes makes all of theirs in regular 3" pans.

I do use springforms, but I release them exactly as Mimi stated above.

Try not use cardboard on the bottoms when baking. Although many people do this, the pan is actually what makes the crust bake correctly. You don't even want to use parchment for the same reason, especially if you have baked them in a nice pan.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 6:31am
post #6 of 6

If you can find the episode of Good Eats, it's Season 5 Episode 7, you will see how Alton Brown makes his cheesecake and umolds it from the pan. It appears to be on YouTube in 3 parts, but it's not playable in Canada due to some content that was band or something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%