Smash Cakes

Business By esq1031 Updated 19 Apr 2012 , 1:52am by KoryAK

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone here thinks it's odd if someone calls inquiring about just a smash cake, not the actual birthday cake, for a quote. If you got such a call and were not doing the actual birthday cake, would you do just the smash cake, and if not, why?

I recently was contacted via email by someone for a quote on a smash cake. The person stated that it was for her child's first bday and told me what the theme was. I was a little taken back by the request. Since I told her to call me so we can discuss the situation I haven't heard back from this person. This is the first time that I had such a request and was a little baffled. I am just wondering for those of you who have a business, is it common for people to request just a smash cake alone.

Thanks,
Jackie

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 4

We've had requests for just smash cakes, usually when the birthday boy or girl has food allergies (our bakery was allergy-friendly). There's no reason not to accept the order, just charge what you would normally charge for a cake. In our case the smallest cake we made was an 8" round starting at $44, customers are free to order a 6" cake but the price would be the same as the 8".

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for your response Jason. I don't advertise as allergy free so that doesn't apply in my instance, but it makes perfect sense. i don't know, i just thought it was a strange request. I planned on taking the order if the customer was interested, but I haven't heard back yet.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 1:52am
post #4 of 4

Just like Jason said, sure, do it - but they still have to pay your minimum order fee. Mine is $75... I wonder why I don't get many orders for just smash cakes.... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%