Rainbow Colored Cake Batter/ How?

Baking By sandeeb Updated 19 Apr 2012 , 12:55pm by cowie

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 3:08am
post #1 of 24

I have been asked by a customer for a ''rainbow colored cake'' for a wedding cake. Does anyone have any ideas about this or has anyone seen a picture of what this would look like when cut? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am going to practice soemthing this week-end and see what I can do. She wants the cake itself to be colored not the icing.

23 replies
auntieju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntieju Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 3:24am
post #2 of 24

I would just use white cake mix and add a little gel color to the batter.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 3:24am
post #3 of 24

I've seen a lot of these cake on CC. You can color the cake batter before baking and you could do each layer a different color or you can put plops of different colored batter in one pan so that each layer is multicolored. It looks pretty cool when you cut it. Each piece is different if you do the multi-colors in each layer. Does that make sense? Have you searched the galleries for "rainbow cakes" or "tie-dye cakes"?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 4:03am
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnybird

,,,,,,,or you can put plops of different colored batter in one pan so that each layer is multicolored. ?

To do it this way, you create cups of each color of batter. Pour in one color and then pour the next color into the middle of that, and so on.

This is the result of that method:

Rae

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 7:03am
post #5 of 24

All that coloring tastes bitter - I did it - yuck!!

mcmom1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcmom1962 Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 7:15am
post #6 of 24

I am new here so not sure what can be posted. If you do a google search for rainbow cake you will find many links. M.S. has the recipie for one on her website.

Sheila

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 24

I just made one of these on the weekend and it was a HUGE hit! It was so easy to make. I just did four colours, so I mised up the four different colours into four bowls. The first colour I put in the pan I used a little more batter, and less and less until the fourth and last colour was put in. There is a really nice utube video on this. Once you have the colours all in the pan, pick up the pan and sort of drop it on the counter, not very high or anything, but just enough to make the colours settle down to the bottom of the pan. That way the colours don't just sit on the top. Once it was made and cut into the colours went all the way from the top of the cake to the bottom perfectly. I did not notice a bitter taste to the cake, however, for colouring the batter I used the plain food colourings you would get from the grocery store. I did not use Wiltons or any other 'gel' food colouring. Maybe that made a difference? Everyone LOVED the colours, and was so surprised when it was cut into. One thing I did notice was that once the cake baked the colours seemed to go deeper in colour. I wasn't sure if I made the colours dark enough before I baked it but once it baked it was perfect!

vpenkuhn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpenkuhn Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 24

Hi There,
My profile pix has a picture of the Hello Kitty cake I made for my grand-neice's first BD...no one new it was multi color until it was cut. My husband & I have a side business making original tie dye clothing & accessories that we sell at various festivals...so I had to make it colorful...I call it the 'secret tie dye' cake. I used the gel icing colors
to color the cake, I did not notice any change in the taste. I think a tie dye wedding cake would be most awesome...lol

cowie Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 24

vpenkuhn - Did you bake each colour individually?

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 4:05pm
post #10 of 24

I believe this cake was made by mixing the batter, separating it into separate small bowls, coloring each portion a different color to go into a separate pan, baking, and filling and assembling:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2258178/rainbow

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 4:45pm
post #11 of 24

I used Betty Crocker Neon Gel Colors that I purchased at a WalMart SuperCenter.

I tasted the batter & the cake after it was baked. It tasted just fine.

The client feedback was that the cake looked & tasted great.

Rae[/b]

vpenkuhn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpenkuhn Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 24

Yes I baked each layer seperately, took a long time bc I only had one 16 in round. However I did pour a little from each colored batter into a 9 x 13 pan & froze it adding the next color on top and freezing etc until I had all four colors then baked it to use for the ears of the cake it really looked wild bc the diff colors pushed up in diff areas it truly was tie dye ears...lol

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 5:05pm
post #13 of 24

From what I've seen online and here, if the colors are baked together it's "tie-dye" and if they're baked in separate pans it's "rainbow". It doesn't really matter what you call it, that's just FYI.

Just a word of warning, though - - I got the bright idea to flavor each color separately. It would probably be ok in a rainbow cake, but I was making tie-dyed cupcakes. Not one of my success stories, I'm afraid. They were edible as the flavors kind of blended together and they didn't taste bad, but it was difficult to tell what flavors were there.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 5:09pm
post #14 of 24

When I mentioned putting "plops" of the different colors in the pan, I wasn't going for concentric rings or any pattern! You just put in the different colors randomly, then bang the pan to make the batter level, then you have a many-colored cake, with each slice being different. It looks very colorful and cheerful. It doesn't muddle into one big mess. The colors are touching, but maintain their separateness - I can't seem to describe what I'm talking about very clearly! Sorry.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 5:24pm
post #15 of 24

My wife made one of these for our daughter's first birthday last month. She used powdered food coloring so there was no change in taste.

Here's a picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonkraft/6960465851/

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 5:24pm
post #16 of 24

There's a few cakes like this on Pinterest also. Does anyone know if mouths turn colors when eaten like they do with frosting? I am not sure my wedding guests would appreciate that. icon_smile.gif

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 5:46pm
post #17 of 24

Found this a while back - I'm sure you can use scratch batter too instead of a mix.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameadowlark/3178975660/

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 6:20pm
post #18 of 24

It is very easy I decided to use 6 colors. So I divided the batter equally into 6 bowls, put in a squirt of color, mixed them and poured half of the first color into the pan, then half of the second color, etc. I reversed the color pour on the other layer. Pouring the batter in the center on top of the pervious color, forces the first batter to spred to the edge of the pan. If you wanted thinner bands of cake color, pour 1/4 a of each color at a time.( you would do the pour rotation twice for each layer.)

To answer two questions- my cake did not taste bitter or nasty from the colors used; nor did it leave colors stain your mouth. You really don't need that much color. A couple of drops was plenty.
LL

MadeYaLook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadeYaLook Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 6:43pm
post #19 of 24

Check out this link to my blog. You will see the rainbow wedding cake I made for my MIL. It was 24 layers of cake. A single batch of WASC was used for each color. Meaning 1 batch colored red made one layer 10" 8"6" and 4". So I just ended up baking 6 different bathces (one of each color) Make sense?? Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

http://shuggamamas.blogspot.com/2012/01/rainbow-wedding-cake.html

cowie Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 8:27pm
post #20 of 24

Jason, I have never heard of powdered food coloring before. Where do you buy that?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 8:40pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowie

Jason, I have never heard of powdered food coloring before. Where do you buy that?

You can buy them online here:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=powdered+food+coloring

Some cake decorating supply stores will also carry them.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 8:46pm
post #22 of 24

cowie, the best place to buy Petal Dusts, Pearl Dusts, and Luster dusts is fondantsource.com

here is a link to the page: http://www.fondantsource.com/noname.html

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 8:47pm
post #23 of 24

looks like they blocked it....will send you a pm

cowie Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 12:55pm
post #24 of 24

Is the powdered colours easier or better to use then the gel ones?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%