Homeowner's Insurance With An Attached Commercial Kitchen

Business By lkern777 Updated 26 Apr 2012 , 11:47am by lkern777

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 6


I am ready to take the plunge and add a licensed commercial kitchen to my home property. I am in TN, so I cannot license my domestic kitchen, but I can either build a separate building or renovate my attached garage to be my kitchen.

My problem is this......when I started researching this I called my existing insurance agent about insuring the business part of the property and they told me that not only would they not do that if it was a bakery, but they also would not insure my house. I was quite shocked. I have been unable to find an insurance company that will insure my house if I have an ATTACHED kitchen. I have found some that will insure me if it is detached from the house. Obviously it is much cheaper to renovate my garage than to build an entirely separate building.

Is there anyone out there that has a licensed commercial kitchen that is attached to their home? If so, who is your HOME insurer? I don't believe that it matters what state you are in, since my problem is the insurer, not the state government.

Thanks in advance for any help!

5 replies
cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 6

I'm in Alabama and I have a licensed kitchen on my property that is not attached to my home. It wasn't easy to find a carrier that would insure me even unattached. Check with The Hartford, that's who I'm with.

Hope this helps.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 5:20am
post #3 of 6

I just finalized my business insurance. I have a licensed, commercial kitchen in my basement. My current homeowner's ins policy carrier was happy to add the coverage for only $221 a year. Having the same company for both ensures that if something were to happen, i wouldn't end up with 2 companies both denying responsibility

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 10:09am
post #4 of 6

My husband is getting mine because he pays for it. It was cheap. I think you got an uninformed agent. They love adding risk. That's how they make money. They just consult an actuary table and you pay. My policy excludes my Pit Bull but we still didn't get dropped. They just won't pay a bite claim.

By the way, you may be able to save money by putting your equipment insurance with your product liability insurance. I have State Farm for both.

I'll add the name of the company when he gets it.

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 12:01pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the replies! I am really wanting to do this, but I seem to hit road blocks everywhere I turn. Annoying!

jenng1482: Do you mind telling me which company you use?

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 11:47am
post #6 of 6

I wanted to let anyone know who is interested that I did find an insurance carrier who will cover my house and commercial kitchen (with commercial appliances) if it is attached to my house. State Farm said they would do it and it was cheaper than the other quote that I received from Hartford for a detached kitchen.

Thanks everyone who replied to this. I appreciate your time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%