Airbrush Kit

Decorating By Nazarine Updated 23 Apr 2012 , 11:26am by Anthea45

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 12:40am
post #1 of 4

I have never used an airbrush. Not even sure what I would use it for but it's always been something in my mind to explore. I was in Michael's today and they had one on clearance marked down from $100 to $20. I know nothing about it but after checking with the manager to make sure it wasn't a final sale, I got it. It's a Badger Deluxe Set Model 200. This was a total impulse buy and I figured I would at least look into it before I open it.

So, my questions are:
1) What's the difference between a regular airbrush kit and a "cake" airbrush kit?
2) Is there any way to use regular cake tint like Americolor or Wilton in an airbrush? Or should it always be "airbrush" colors?

I would be using this for very light use. Maybe airbrushing some color on fondant roses or something like that. It's a technique that I wanted to try more than a need for it.

Any thoughts? As always, thank you!

3 replies
Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 12:47am
post #2 of 4

A-ha! I've been wading through my search results for airbrushes and I think I got the answers I needed. Still, if anyone has experience with this airbrush, I would love to hear about it. I might try it just because I'm just looking for something to airbrush dried BC or fondant flowers, etc. My daughter picked out a cake for her birthday that has gold fondant ribbons and accents and I thought airbrushing them might be useful.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 4

There is no difference that I know of, you can use any airbrush on cake as long as the compressor psi isn't set too high (it will blow the frosting off). I would stick with airbrush colors to prevent clogging. I know others have mixed gel color with vodka and it works most of the time but it's just so much easier to airbrush colors that are intended for that purpose.

Anthea45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anthea45 Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 11:26am
post #4 of 4

IM ALSO LOOKING TO INVEST IN AN AIR BRUSH KIT AND NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE BEST MAKE IS? WOULD RATHER BUY ONE THAT HAS BEEN RECOMMENDED BY SOMEONE icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%