Anyone Actually Eat Cute Fondant Decos On Cupcakes/cake?

Decorating By Apti Updated 14 Apr 2012 , 3:57pm by Apti

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 3:26am
post #1 of 8

I see so many beautiful cupcakes with 2-1/2" fondant discs instead of buttercream swirls (plain or made with impression mats, similar to the 2nd example below), or buttercream swirls with beautiful fondant blossoms, fondant butterflies, etc.

Here's some examples:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30214361@N04/3366117996/
http://www.preparedpantry.com/Recipes/Decorating-Cupcakes-With-Fondant.htm

The cupcakes above are gorgeous, but, will anyone eat the cute little decorations?

I don't know anyone who actually wants to eat the cute little fondant decorations, especially the ones that are rock hard. Are they supposed to be disposable? Does anyone, anywhere like the taste/texture?
-------------------
Should I consider chocolate plastic as an alternative? Any thoughts?

7 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 3:54am
post #2 of 8

Kids eat them first. And I feeling bad for the parents cause I just sugared them up. I see adult eat smaller decos.. But they throw the discs off

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 4:02am
post #3 of 8

I wouldn't eat the larger ones and sometimes I will eat the really small ones. I don't mind the taste of my fondant since it is really good, but I just prefer to eat the buttercream. Alot of my friends and customers will eat the larger decorations. I guess it all depends on the taste of the fondant.

neekole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neekole Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 5:34am
post #4 of 8

some people eat them and others toss it depends on the person but they're ordering it because they want decoration of some sort! There are also chocolate fondants and marshmallow that may taste a little better

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 9:55am
post #5 of 8

My kids will eat anything from a blossom to a shoe. Buttercream, gumpaste, fondant, chocolate, royal icing no matter how hard or soft. They tell me I am wasting my display cakes decorations sitting there instead of giving them to eat.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 11:21am
post #6 of 8

Apti, the gender reveal cake in my photos has a lot of fondant accents. My girlfriend, the recipient of the cake, said her mom was peeling it off and eating it because she loved it. And the bad thing is, it was WILTON fondant! I usually use Wilton for fondant accents because I just assume people are going to take it off anyway, but dang was I wrong. Because everyone who eats one of my cakes with the fondant accents always loves the fondant. And it's always Wilton. Either my "customers" are insane or Wilton has changed their recipe.

robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 12:42pm
post #7 of 8

I have never made cupcakes with the fondont disk on them, but I was wondering if the cupcakes have a filling in them since the top is just fondont?

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone. Apparently some people DO like the fondant and hard-as-rock fondant accents. They are awfully pretty! Last night I was laying in bed thinking about cake stuff (of course.....), wondering why people don't use chocolate plastic instead of fondant since it tastes so much better. Then I answered myself (uh oh!).

Fondant is SO versatile! Chocolate or chocolate plastic has some definite limitations and is probably way more expensive.

Personally, though, I'd still be royally bummed to get a gorgeous cupcake with an intricate, impressed fondant disk and a beautiful rose with leaves only to find a tiny smear of buttercream underneath on my plain 'ol cupcake. I'm with the previous poster~~If somebody rips me off with no buttercream, I better have some filling in there somewhere!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%