Question About A Shaped Wedding Cake

Decorating By Di766 Updated 15 Apr 2012 , 1:53pm by DianeLM

Di766 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Di766 Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 2:00am
post #1 of 5

A customer just sent me a picture of a cake, 3 tiers. It is almost as though each layer fans out as it goes up. Like a lamp shade shape. So if you were to turn a lampshade upside down and bake a cake in it just like that. THEN, once you take the cake out of the pan, you would use it that way, with the bottom of each layer thinner than the top of the layer. Hope I am being clear. I tried to post the photo here but I am having trouble getting it over here. First, are there pans shaped like that? This cake looks perfect....if someone sculted it, they did a fabulous job. She wants it to be a dummy cake with the top real. Sigh. Anyone have any clue as to where these cake pans come from IF they exist? If not, do you think the baker just hand sculpted each layer???? Diane icon_cry.gif

4 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 2:51am
post #2 of 5

I think the baker sculpted each layer.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 5

It's called "tapered".

Here are my instructions for tapering cakes. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Start with two same-size cake layers, say, 10-inch round.

Place a 10-inch round cake circle on one end, and an 8-inch circle on the other end. Make sure the larger, same-size board is not larger than the cake. It can be tad smaller.

Working inside a large pan or baking sheet to confine the mess, elevate the cake a few inches on something narrower than the cake, like a 6 or 7 inch cake pan.

The 8-inch board side should be up. Put non-skid mat between the cake and it's elevator so it doesn't slip off.

Now, take a long, serrated knife and, using the cake boards as guides, carve away the sides of the cake. Flip the cake over, place on it's permanent board and away you go!

If you plan to fill the layers with something other than buttercream, place a couple of small cardboard cake circles between your layers before carving.

After carving, take the two layers apart, remove the cake circles, pipe your dam, add filling and replace the layers. Trim, if necessary.

If you're going to fill with buttercream, you can do that before carving.

ANDaniels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANDaniels Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 2:03am
post #4 of 5

Diane! Thank you!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 5

My pleasure!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%