Freezing A Red Fondant Cake...any Tips?!?

Decorating By Normita Updated 18 Apr 2012 , 4:15am by BlakesCakes

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 2:24am
post #1 of 19

Hello everyone!

I am really busy this weekend with a huge wedding I'm doing that I don't have much time to make my nephews bday cake on Sunday. I was planning on filling, frosting, covering in red fondant and then freezing to give me some time to decorate it on Sunday. Problem is I have never frozen a cake before, and would appreciate any helpful tips.

I've heard of some ppl having success with this and others with this failing miserably!!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

18 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 3:15am
post #2 of 19

Box cake. Wrap box in at least 2 layers of saran & 1 layer of foil. Freeze. 24 hrs. before more decorating, display, or serving, place still boxed & wrapped in refigerator. Move to counter, still boxed & wrapped 2+ hrs. before you need to work on it, display, or serve it.

Rae

Normita Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 3:46am
post #3 of 19

Thanks Rae....I really don't like refrigerating my cakes because I have a fear it will pick up odors from other foods and because in my crazy mind I think it sucks out the moisture. Do you think it will be ok to move from freezer, box still wrapped in Saran and foil to the counter....or will this not be a good idea?

Normita Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 3:51am
post #4 of 19

Oh one more thing....does it matter what kind of filling I'm using to freeze? The cake will be filled with a sleeve filling (strawberry)

Thanks icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 4:02am
post #5 of 19

This is the method I use.

If boxed & wrapped properly, it can't pick up odors from the fridge.

I feel that with the slower, more controlled defrost really controls any possibility of sweating.

It's up to you.

Rae

BlakesCakes Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 4:04am
post #6 of 19

I don't use the sleeve fillings, but I have used fruit preserves.

As a matter of course when working with fruit fillings, I butter my layers with BC so that the liquid doesn't seep into the cake & I also make sure that my dam is a good one.

Rae

Normita Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 4:12am
post #7 of 19

Thanks for the helpful hints! I'm going to try this out and hopefully it works! Thankfully it's for family...I would never do this on anyone elses cake icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 4:31am
post #8 of 19

Well, I've had to do it for some pretty large & special cakes when a client needed a cake & I was unavailable.

Knock wood, they followed my instructions and later told me that it was as if the cake had been made the day of the event.

Frozen for 10 days.

Rae

Normita Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 5:51am
post #9 of 19

Wow!! Beautiful cakes!!

Well, the cake is covered in fondant, wrapped like 5 times in Saran wrap, wrapped in foil and then rewrapped in Saran wrap and in the freezer lol!!

I will take it out sat morning and place in the fridge...I'm praying for it to go fine icon_smile.gif

Thanks for all your tips...I will keep you posted!!

Normita Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 2:00am
post #10 of 19

Thanks Rae for ll your tips!! I did exactly what you old me to do and it went well!! I had some minor sweating on the top of the cake and minor air bubbles but overall...it was great and tasted great!!

Thanks again icon_smile.gif

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 2:20am
post #11 of 19

Question.... Rae said to box the cake, then wrap the box in saran wrap and then foil. Did I miss something. It sounds like you wrapped the cake. So you said there was just a little sweating on top. A similar post I saw I thought Rae said it wouldn't sweat because it was in the box and the box was the thing wrapped. Nothing was touching the cake. I might of mis-read because the advertisements were covering part of the post icon_confused.gif
I'm very glad your cakes turned out good. I was just curious If I read it wrong.

And yes Rae's cakes are beautiful .

Normita Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 2:41am
post #12 of 19

Yup.....wrapped the entire box in Saran wrap and foil. I never wrapped the cake....nothing was touching the cake. Idk why I had some minor sweating...nothing major but it did sweat. I guess certain techniques don't always work 100% for everyone...but overall I was happy with the results. Good to know freezing a completed cake works when I'm in a crunch icon_smile.gif

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 3:16am
post #13 of 19

Let us know how it turns out!!!

Normita Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 3:29am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyg

Let us know how it turns out!!!

Turned out great! Just follow everything exactly as Rae mentioned and you should be fine icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 3:41am
post #15 of 19

That's great news, Normita. Thanks for the "report".

The minor sweating could have been because it was very humid? or raining? or if the core of the cake was still very cold.

You may have a really good fridge that kept it closer to freezing?

Next time, maybe a bit longer on the counter, still all wrapped--won't hurt, might help.

Rae

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 3:57am
post #16 of 19

Thanks for sharing this my husband always tell me I should do more things in advance. I am going to try this with my son's cake. Can you use this method for butter cream cakes too or just fondant?

BlakesCakes Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 3:59am
post #17 of 19

Yes, it works for BC, too.

Rae

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 4:09am
post #18 of 19

What's the shortest amount of time you have used this method and the longest if you don't mind me asking. Thanks for responding btw.

BlakesCakes Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 4:15am
post #19 of 19

I've done it for as little as 3 days and for as long as 2 weeks.

I'd say that it would work for at least a month, maybe more, but I'd only do that for family
icon_wink.gif

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%