Credit Card Phone Swiper For Business? Have You Used It?

Business By DisneyDreamer Updated 29 Apr 2012 , 9:17pm by jason_kraft

DisneyDreamer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DisneyDreamer Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 28

I rent a kitchen when i have cake orders. So I thought it would be good to offer a credit card option since as of now i will only take cash. has anyone used it?

27 replies
sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 28

I have. Mine is called 'the square'. There is a thread on it if you do a search.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 28

I use square as well.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 28

I use Square as well, and I love it. I just noticed the other day, though, that Paypal has come out with something similar and has similar fees to what Square charges. Just something to think about if you already have a Paypal account.

DisneyDreamer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DisneyDreamer Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

I have. Mine is called 'the square'. There is a thread on it if you do a search.

I am horrible when it come to wording for searches. what did you type to get the thread???

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 28

Thanks Jason. The thread on CC was titled something with 'Square Up'.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 28

Yes, Square Up is the name of the company, but everyone just calls it square. I have it and love it. I saw something about Paypal having something similar, but couldn't find anything on the website. I've been using Paypal for years.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 11:55pm
post #9 of 28

I use paypal and square, and they both have their place. Square has been great for having a clinet at tastings say "can I put a deposit down now?" while they hand you their credit card. You can just run the card right away without having to send them to the paypal website.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 3:02am
post #10 of 28

can you use either Paypal or Square to accept credit cards over the phone and process?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 9:56am
post #11 of 28

My site is set up as an e-commerce site. This is another option if you don't see the person face-to-face. They can purchase from the site or I can make them a custom invoice. Over the phone, I can type in the information. If you are with the customer, a quick invoice can be paid immediately.

I use square only for my corporate and national accounts. These are the only clients that don't have to prepay. I have had two occasions where the client's credit card wouldn't work on Paypal. For those people I have used square.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 11:42am
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeInfatuation

can you use either Paypal or Square to accept credit cards over the phone and process?

Paypal no, square yes.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 3:49pm
post #13 of 28

I use PayPal for Cakes Divine and on my website and in my store front Cupcakes Divine I use the square register app on my iPad. Absolutely love the square register and the detailed analysis reports that come with it are perfect! It turns your iPad into a POS system. We found a stand at office depot and attached an iPad snap case to it. It gives us the ability to flip the iPad so the customer can sign. It is so cool!

sweetflowers Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 4:40pm
post #14 of 28

Actually paypal now has a credit card scanner device too, like Square. It's demo'd in the 'Merchant Services' tab. I haven't used it, the Square is perfect for me. I use paypal for online business, Square for in person credit cards.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 7:16pm
post #15 of 28

Besides portability, is there any other advantage to having Square over having a regular terminal in your store? What happens if you are in a poor cell spot (say at a rural farmer's market or something)...you are purely relying on your cell service to process the transactions via Square, right?

jason_kraft Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 7:57pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Besides portability, is there any other advantage to having Square over having a regular terminal in your store? What happens if you are in a poor cell spot (say at a rural farmer's market or something)...you are purely relying on your cell service to process the transactions via Square, right?

Another big advantage is cost...the Square reader is free, no monthly fees, and a flat 2.75% per swiped transaction. Cell service or wifi is required.

sweetflowers Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 8:44pm
post #17 of 28

My phone service is very reliable, so I don't have that issue. Since I don't do a ton of business, a free reader with no monthly fee is perfect for me. A terminal for a store front that does a lot of business might be best in that situation. I don't know how terminals work, but I would guess they need electricity or some phone connection also. You just have to decide what is best for your business and area.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 4:09am
post #18 of 28

2.75% is a little high to swipe a card directly - you might look into using real merchant services. Sam's offers this now and their rates are pretty good. Be careful that you find out what all the possible fees can be or 2.75 can seem like a deal. It matters how much you would run through in a month. All of the merchant companies have apps you can use with your phone, I think.

disastrophe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disastrophe Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 2:22pm
post #19 of 28

For those who use Intuit, they also have something very similar. It's called GoPayment.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 4:18am
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet

2.75% is a little high to swipe a card directly - you might look into using real merchant services. Sam's offers this now and their rates are pretty good. Be careful that you find out what all the possible fees can be or 2.75 can seem like a deal. It matters how much you would run through in a month. All of the merchant companies have apps you can use with your phone, I think.

After you figure in the monthly service fee and all the discounts and per swipe charges and terminal rental fee (most still have this charge) Square is still the better deal AND you get your funds the very next day even American Express. I can accept any major credit card and don't have to jump through major hoops to get my money. Also the POS system app that comes FREE with Square is amazing. Most POS systems cost in excess of $2000. I have 3 square readers all free. I can use a phone or iPad away from the shop. I do different events that require a mobile unit. A merchant company will charge for an additional mobile terminal. I can get as many square readers as I need for free.

sweetflowers Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 12:32pm
post #21 of 28

You know what I found interesting, at Xmas Best Buy was advertising the 'Square' reader for $9.99 I thought...but I can get it free?

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 12:45pm
post #22 of 28

we also use square at our shop we love it. Th money is usually there that day if not the next. We use it on the road when we do vender shows als.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 1:59pm
post #23 of 28

If anyone is interested in the PayPal option, which is not quite ready yet, you can go to their website and sign up to be notified when it is.

fl_cake_lover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fl_cake_lover Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 4:23am
post #24 of 28

I use Intuit. Here's an article that may help. I don't have any problem connecting with my Bionic like the author has with his phone (don't remember type).

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/239250/square_vs_intuit_gopayment_mobile_credit_card_systems_compared.html

meggsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggsie Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 6:15am
post #25 of 28

I just wanna make sure I am understanding this correctly...

So... it is basically FREE... you are just paying 2.75% on all totals. No start up costs, monthly payments etc.

What about if you don's use it that month?? What about a few months???

Also... for those of you that use it, do you charge your customers extra for using it?

Thanks!
Megan icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 6:19pm
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by meggsie

So... it is basically FREE... you are just paying 2.75% on all totals. No start up costs, monthly payments etc.

Correct, if you sign up and never use it you wouldn't have to pay anything.

Quote:
Quote:

Also... for those of you that use it, do you charge your customers extra for using it?

Credit card merchant agreements do not allow you to charge a premium to customers for paying with a credit card (you also can't have a minimum purchase), but you are allowed to offer discounts for paying cash.

meggsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggsie Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 9:13pm
post #27 of 28

thanks Jason. icon_smile.gif I signed up! can't wait to get it in the mail. So you have to have internet ervice to use it? I dowloaded the app on my iphone but my ipad only has wifi.... so not all places offer it for free for anyone to use. Is there a way to swipe the card and then later connect to the internet for it to go through? I just love how you could put your items in and press them! So awesome!

jason_kraft Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 9:17pm
post #28 of 28

You need an active 3G or Wifi connection to process credit cards, they don't support offline processing. If there is no wifi in your area you would need to use your iPhone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%