1 Year Old's Cake Recipe

Baking By Mel2085 Updated 15 Apr 2012 , 2:48pm by Edit

Mel2085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel2085 Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 1:28am
post #1 of 9

I am looking for a recipe that is good for children. I don't care if it is from scratch or a mix, I want something that is "good" for children.

My daughters first birthday is coming up and I want to make her cake, I know I am making cupcakes for the kids, but for the adults we are going to have a margarita lime cake with lime frosting! I know you can sub applesauce in with a cakemix but I was wondering if there was some good Vegan or something like that.

TIA!!

8 replies
Bean123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bean123 Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 9

I haven't tried it, but there is a 'first birthday cake' recipe on wholesomebabyfood.com under the recipe section.

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 9

Google : Chocolate Paleo snack cake and it should come up .
Ive made it and its very good. Its made with Dates and Applesauce, or a banana .
It calls for coconut oil and I used vegetable. I did buy coconut flour and I really like It .. But I assume almond meal or even flax seed meal may work .
I even took this to work and the guys really liked it ,

I am allergic to several things . One is food coloring . I cringe when I see a baby first's birthday smash cake with lots of food coloring.Some people are so careful with their baby's first foods and then give them a cake with a ton of artificial dyes when they turn one. I think its very dangerous to do this.

Just a note : This is a very dense moist cake . It is very tasty even without frosting . But it wont make a "fluffy" cupcake if that is what you are looking for . I did make mine in mini cupcake pans without liners . You could probably use AP flour and that might may them lighter if you wanted more of a rise .

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 3:25am
post #4 of 9

I have an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G vegan chocolate cake recipe I've used for several children's cakes and cupcakes. I'm sure all you'd need to do to make it vanilla is leave out the chocolate and add whatever flavoring you want.

Recipe makes 12 cupcakes, easily doubled to make 24 or 2 8" rounds.

1 cup soymilk (I use Silk Light vanilla, has less of the "soy" flavor)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4c granulated sugar (I half it)
1/3c canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract (I did more vanilla)
1c all purpose flour
1/3c cocoa powder, Dutch-processed
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

- whisk soymilk & vinegar together and let curdle 5-10 min (*very important)
- add all wet ingredients to soymilk mixture & beat until foamy
- sift dry ingredients in separate bowl
- add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in two separate batches
- bake at 350 for 18-20 min or until done

This recipe rises beautifully just like a cake with eggs. Hope you find this helpful icon_smile.gif

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 4:04am
post #5 of 9

I forgot to say the Paleo snack cake is chocolate . You can even taste the dates . Its just a very moist chocolate cake .

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 9

Are you looking for something vegan? It's for a child so that's unusual. If you just want cupcakes, do the funfetti cake mix. Or add two to three tablespoons of colored jimmies to your white cake recipe. Kids love stuff with colors.

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 9

Try Sylvia Weistock's yellow cake recipe or the white on white buttermilk cake. Both of them are made with real ingredients, not artificial colors,flavors and lots of other chemicals that are bad for everybody not just for 1 year olds. Both recipes give you a delicious, moist cake and your baby will love it. The less alteration a food item goes through the better for the body.

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 9

EDIT, where can I find Sylvia Weinstock's recipes? Are they all as natural as the one you just mentioned?

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 9

Both recipes were the winners of the yellow cake and white cake throw down on this website, they should be in the recipe section. And they use just that, flour, eggs, sugar, sour cream/buttermilk, salt, vanilla, baking soda/powder. Excellent recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%