Design Ideas

Decorating By bellacakecreations Updated 9 May 2012 , 4:13am by eneitsirk

bellacakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellacakecreations Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 17

So I have an Icing Smiles cake coming up and the little boy wants a Greek mythology theme. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this one....He has watched Percy Jackson so I'm thinking Medusa?? It will be a dream cake so tiered or 3D is necessary I'm just wondering if anybody has any other ideas

16 replies
jamawoops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamawoops Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 17

I think a 3D cake of Medusa would be kinda scary for a little boy, depending on how old he is. Plus it would be kinda weird to cut into and eat! You could do 3 tiers and design each tier to stand for Zeus (lightning bolts), Poseidon (the ocean), and Hades (fire, Hell-again it's for a little boy so you might not want to go too graphic here). Or if you really want to do 3D you could make a cake in the shape of Mount Olympus and make gumpaste figures of key mythological characters (Atlas, Hercules, Aphrodite, Apollo, Icarus, Medusa, the Minotaur) to place around it. Good luck!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 17

I'm so jealous! I signed up with Icing Smiles, but haven't done one yet.

I agree with jamawoops on the ideas for the 3 tiers - Mt. Olympus, the ocean and hades. I don't do figures so I would have Greek columns and lightning bolts and clouds on Mr. Olympus, underwater creatures for the ocean, and maybe flames for hades. Nothing too graphic, but if the little guy's seen Percy Jackson, then he's familiar with the characters and the scenes.

Good luck and please let us know when you post pictures.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 17

For a Dream cake, I think a sculpted Medusa cake is a great idea! If he has seen and loved Percy Jackson then he knows Medusa. I'm sure whatever you do he will love! Just make sure to post pictures here, OK?

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 17

Definitely Medusa! Maybe with a fondant IPod in front that shows a reflection of her face and "hair". If he's seen the movie, he'll dig Medusa BIG TIME and be the envy of every boy everywhere.

bellacakecreations Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks so much for the help. I haven't seen the movie yet so I had no idea he used an IPOD to see the reflection that would be neat to incorporate. He's turning 12 so he's not too little and he has seen the movies so I didn't think that Medusa would be too scary for him. Maybe I'm weird but I always thought the coolest parts of mythology were the creatures that they described icon_smile.gif I'm going to finalize the design today. The cake is for May 5th so I will post it here as soon as I'm done

Apti Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 17

Can't wait!

bellacakecreations Posted 7 May 2012 , 9:21pm
post #8 of 17

Ok so I went ahead and had his mom ok the design. Then the poor little guy had to be admitted to the hospital so they asked if I could deliver it a bit earlier than expected. This is what we ended up with and he LOVED it!!!
LL

CakesbyVandC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyVandC Posted 7 May 2012 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 17

excellent job. Love it and especially why you did it. Prayers for the young man and cudos to you on a great job. Especially with the accelerated time table.

Apti Posted 7 May 2012 , 11:40pm
post #10 of 17

OH MAN!!!! That is the COOLEST cake, EVER! Way to go!

Did he completely lose his mind when he saw the cake? Did you get to see his face? Did he cut the cake while you were there or did he wait so lots of people could see it? Did he want to eat a snake first?
What did his mom do? Tell! Tell!

I'll tell ya one thing, whenever he remembers getting this cake, he won't even remember the hospital part; JUST THE CAKE.

bellacakecreations Posted 8 May 2012 , 12:15am
post #11 of 17

Thanks guys!! I was bummed because we had to move it up I basically had a day to put everything together and we couldn't make Medusa and all the snakes edible. It was a styro head covered in fondant, did the facial details, and then we fused some of our pre-made but not quite dry enough fondant snakes with some rubber store bought ones so they would stand apart from her head. He absolutely loved it!! He was even more excited when he found out the head wasn't cake so he could save it. He said he had a spot in his room for it icon_biggrin.gif He didn't cut it while we were there because his nurse was dragging everyone on that floor in the room to see it but they sent me pics when they did cut into it. There wasn't a whole lot of time for details but there was the Parthenon with his name in it on the front, a trident, a lightning bolt, Hermes winged chucks, and the shield (which he ate with a slice of both the top and bottom tiers since they were different flavors). His mom had pics of him pretending to be scared of her. It was really cute.

Apti Posted 8 May 2012 , 4:47am
post #12 of 17

What a hoot! You were bummed because the head wasn't edible and he was thrilled. I can just see him pretending to be scared in a photo!

Hey--I just noticed that you are the same person that did that super-gorgeous non-pareil wedding cake. You have some mean skills!

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 8 May 2012 , 6:36am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Hey--I just noticed that you are the same person that did that super-gorgeous non-pareil wedding cake. You have some mean skills!

Um, Bella....DAY-UM!! How DID you do that super-gorgeous non-pareil wedding cake? I absolutely love it! OMGx10! Share! Share! Tell all! Enquiring minds want to know! You've mad skills and then some! And it is s-o-o sweet of you to use those skills to make wishes and dreams come through....my apron's off to you.
Oh, did I mention ,,,,WOW!

bellacakecreations Posted 8 May 2012 , 12:49pm
post #14 of 17

Haha thanks guys. It started as sprinkles for my five year old to decorate cupcakes with and then......voila. My bride and I actually had a totally different design for the wedding cake up until the week before the wedding. She was coming to pay the balance on her cake and my daughter and I were playing with the mini tiered wedding cakes I had just baked. Izabella had iced hers and poured a bowl full of sprinkles to dip her "dream wedding cake". It looked really pretty!! So we were talking about fake tiers (her god daughter was planning a quinceanera and she was taking care of that cake as well) and how they worked as far as covering, etc. I had some that I was preparing to wrap in fondant all greased up with shortening with some errant sprinkles from Bella's creation already attached so I just got a bigger bowl and dipped. It looked good and my bride and I were in awe of it so I covered the other two display tiers. She immediately asked if it was possible to do her wedding cake that way and all I could think off was NO stenciling!!! YAY!!!!. So 4-5 lbs of sprinkles later that cake was made.

As for how to do it. There has to be an easier way but I just stacked, ganached, and covered in fondant. Brushed the fondant with white chocolate and gently pressed sprinkles on it. I didn't want them to sink in just stick. I ended up with a little paintbrush filling in spots that sprinkles refused to adhere. I left a little circle without sprinkles on each tier and filled it with chocolate so the next tier wouldn't just roll off (they tried to) and of course a dowel down the middle. The original plan was to leave it with just sprinkles but it looked MUCH better with the ribbon. I wonder if it would have been better to stack and then sprinkle to make sure the tiers don't move as much but this cake traveled over the most horrible road (all brick) in town up to the venue. If there is anything I didn't answer feel free to pm me. I have learned SO much from people on this site willing to share their tips and tricks with me.

Apti Posted 8 May 2012 , 3:54pm
post #15 of 17

Bella~~That is a WONDERFUL back story. Congrats to Izabella for getting the cake idea started.

You should do a tutorial with this information all in one place with the cake featured as the "photo".

I can't tell from the photo of the cake, did you use oblong sprinkles like this photo:

http://blog.evite.com/evite/2008/06/id-like-a-pop-s.html

or round, non-pareils like this photo:

http://www.featurepics.com/online/Colorful-Candy-Sprinkles-Photo-443326.aspx

bellacakecreations Posted 8 May 2012 , 5:27pm
post #16 of 17

Hadn't even thought about posting a tutorial....I'll get started on that tomorrow icon_biggrin.gif Little round non pareils

eneitsirk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneitsirk Posted 9 May 2012 , 4:13am
post #17 of 17

woW... mARvelous cake...I like how creative you are..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%