How To Make A Cool Dollcake For A Teenagegirl?

Decorating By bakesforfun Updated 12 Apr 2012 , 7:04pm by bakesforfun

bakesforfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakesforfun Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 6

I was ask to do a dollcake for a girl who turns 13. I think those cakes are a bit childish, so I need a way to make it cooler.
Any ideas?

5 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 12:45am
post #2 of 6

I've been thinking about this for about 15 minutes and the only thing I can think of is one that resembles the teen. Perhaps the doll's dress could be a replica of one a popular singer or actress has worn? Perhaps the whole doll could be a replica from a popular movie scene?

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 1:07am
post #3 of 6

What about a gorgeous ball gown, with a beautiful sequinned bodice (tiny dragees would work for this) I would go with a darker colour, like burgundy or emerald green, anything but pink unless she is a 'girly girl'. Make it super shiny and glamorous with lots of pearl or glitter/disco dusts. If she is anything like my 13 year old she might even go for a dark gothy type look, with a subtly made over Bratz doll. Sounds fun!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 1:58am
post #4 of 6

I would go on line to her favorite female vocalist and choose an outlandish outfit to copy then put a microphone in her hand. The doll could be singing happy birthday to her - surround the birthday message with musical notes along the bottom border.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 2:42am
post #5 of 6

Bakesforfun~~I agree that doll cakes are way too "young" for a 13 year old, but you can glam it up to make it a Wowza Cake.

I saw this design a while back and really loved it. It is a different take on the "doll" design and allows you a lot of room to tweak it for a 13 year old.

Ariel Doll Cake By: gellyscakes
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2052660/ariel-doll-cake

You could make it monochrome with very light pinks and white and make the seashells, coral, etc. just like you would for a wedding cake. Monochrome looks much more "adult" and elegant, and you could add lots of bling with disco dust.

bakesforfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakesforfun Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all your ideas. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%