Black Buttercream For Wedding Cake

Baking By momg9 Updated 12 Apr 2012 , 4:04am by karateka

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 7

I will be making a wedding cake in May that will have 2 black tiers and 2 white tiers. I have been trying to find a dark chocolate frosting recipe so I can use minimal black coloring. Does anyone have a recipe for a really dark brown chocolate icing? I have tried several that say dark chocolate, but they come out light brown. I'm not sure if I use too little chocolate of the wrong brand/type.

I don't want any of the guests to end up with a black mouth. If I can't find a recipe that's dark enough I will probably use dummy cakes for the black tiers and have the same size in the kitchen covered in white.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 7

Any amount of black dye will turn people's lips/teeth gray. I used black bc once only as a border. The venue was still talking about that cake (and not in a good way) 2 years later. Lesson learned.
Chocolate icing will gets darker as it sits.

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you. I guess I'll go with the cake dummies. I've read that some use an airbrush for black. Wouldn't that be like coloring the icing black?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by momg9

I've read that some use an airbrush for black. Wouldn't that be like coloring the icing black?

Airbrushing doesn't use anywhere near the amount of coloring to spray as it would to color the icing all the way through. You might still get black lips, but it's not enough coloring to change the taste of the icing much.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 7

Try using americolor black in any of your chocolate BC frosting. At first it looks dark grey. Then cover your bowl with a lid, as it sets it turns black. I just made a cake with black BC frosting this weekend. It does seem weird eating black frosting, but darn, it sure tasted good. Best Wishes!
  http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2304100/31st-birthday-for-lady-que

bellacakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellacakecreations Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 7

I would definitely go the dummy route especially for a wedding. Everyone's taking pictures and no one wants black mouths....even the airbrush alternative will leave some color on people.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 4:04am
post #7 of 7

I won't do black buttercream on a cake, not unless it is just scrollwork or a small border. I explain why and recommend fondant. I haven't lost any business over it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%