Rhonda's Mmf

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 12 Apr 2012 , 11:01am by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 5

Just had a quick question. I've never made this fondant before, and I just need it for some simple flower cut-outs. Is there a trick to getting clean cut-outs? In all the old threads I've read, it seems like the MMF doesn't do well for cut-out decorations. I want to make sure it's going to work before I make it. Otherwise I will be using ghetto Wilton fondant.

Thanks,

Annie

4 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 4:35am
post #2 of 5

Rhonda's MMF is great for covering cakes but I've read it's not great for decorations, I've never tried it though, and I wouldn't, the texture just doesn't seem like it would hold it's shape. For decorations that won't be eaten I would go with Wilton. While it tastes BAD, the texture is quite nice to work with, especially with a little tylose added in.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 5:18am
post #3 of 5

I use Duffs fondant for a lot of my cut outs. Use your coupons and get it cheaper. even the red and black taste good. I,ve tried the other colors also. hth

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 5:20am
post #4 of 5

Also, lots of decorators on this site, including me, use modeling chocolate with the wilton fondant and it tastes really good. Use 70 percent wilton, 30 percent modeling choc.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 11:01am
post #5 of 5

Well crap I just made Rhonda's last night. This morning it feels quite firm, just feeling it through the plastic. I will give it a try. Of course this week Michael's doesn't have a 40% off coupon. If I remember correctly that Duff fondant is quite expensive. Does Duff's ever firm up? I mean, if I put the blossoms in a cup former will they stay in that shape?

Thanks for your replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%