Dairy-Free Cake Pops Question...

Baking By ptanyer Updated 15 Apr 2012 , 3:51pm by ptanyer

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 10

I have an order for cake pops which have to be dairy-free due to allergies. I have the cake made and the frosting made, both are dairy-free. The question is what can I use to hold the cake pop onto the lollipop stick? Royal icing won't work because of the buttercream in the cake-pop which will cause the RI to break down. Can't use Wilton melts because they contain dairy, as do all the white chocolate's available at my local grocery stores and craft stores. Don't have time to order anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Pam

9 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 10

Have you tried almond bark? It's actually mainly vegetable oil and you can find it in the baking section of most grocery stores, next to the chocolate chips. This is mainly what I use for dipping cake pops unless I need an oddball color.

ptanyer Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the reply, but I can't use anything that contains milk ingredients and Plymouth Pantry Almond Bark contains milk products.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 10

Can piping gel be used? Recently I have been heating it in the microwave for about 10 to 20 seconds to thin down piping gel and when it cools down it hardens. I use this for my cake pop flowers made with fondant. HTH

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 10

What is the icing made out of could you nuke it for 10 secs to melt it would you be able to dip your stick in it .

Not sure if this would work, what about using a candy with a hole in the middle to anchor the pop on the stick ? Like those candy necklaces that people have been using for eyes. One Candy on the stick on each end of the pop .Or something like a gel candy like spice drops .

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 10

What is the icing made out of could you nuke it for 10 secs to melt it would you be able to dip your stick in it .

Not sure if this would work, what about using a candy with a hole in the middle to anchor the pop on the stick ? Like those candy necklaces that people have been using for eyes. One Candy on the stick on each end of the pop .Or something like a gel candy like spice drops .

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 11:05am
post #7 of 10

There is lactose-free chocolate - you would not need that much of it ..

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 10

Good quality dark chocolate shouldn't have any dairy in it.

ptanyer Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for all the suggestions icon_smile.gif I ended up using my frosting and melting it some and dipping the stick in it and dipping the cake pops in that as well. They turned out pretty good and the only problem I found was that after taking a bit or two, the cake pop broke loose from the stick. Do cake pops that have the stick dipped I chocolate in breakup as well? Is that something I need to try and fix or is it the nature of the beast?

ptanyer Posted 15 Apr 2012 , 3:51pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer353

Good quality dark chocolate shouldn't have any dairy in it.

I'm sorry I did get any notification about replies, so I didn't get your response until today. But I never thought of that and will definitely look for some on my next shopping trick and keep some on hand? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%