Which Michele Foster's Fondant Recipe Is The Best?

Baking By irum Updated 30 Apr 2012 , 9:55pm by Marianna46

irum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irum Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 5:53am
post #1 of 10

I have been using MMF but now due to hot weather, my fondant gets very sticky on the cake,,, so i want to try Michele Foster's fondant recipe.... I have two questions,

1. Do you think Michele Foster's fondant will work well in hot weather?
2. Secondly which recipe should I try... there are three recipes with her name in recipe section.

Please help!

9 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 11:09am
post #2 of 10

For use in hot weather, I'm partial to the original recipe, the one that has no cream or chocolate in it but (I think) uses water as the liquid. Her fondant holds up as well as any other in hot weather. Since it's always hot where I live, I solve the problem by adding more powdered sugar than called for during the kneading process, as well as adding a teaspoon or two of CMC and a teasponn or two of shortening per pound of fondant. This gives me a firmer, yet flexible fondant that works well in the heat. Hope that helps some!

irum Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 10

thanks alot mariana.... appreciate ur reply...

1 thing more, do u put ur cake before or after putting the fondant on?

this hot weather is really creating problem for me... and i have 2 upcoming orders to takecare if icon_sad.gif

if i have understood u right ur problem is solved by adding extra icing sugar, cmc powder & shortening....
which recipe of fondant u use?

thanks dear.

Marianna46 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 10

I'm sorry, I don't understand your first question, but as to which fondant I use, I actually have two (actually maybe three) answers. If I'm using home-made fondant, I use Michele Foster's original recipe (the one with no cream or chocolate). If I'm using ready-made, I use FondX (it's the one I can usually get where I live). But if I can get my hands on it and am either in the money or can get a customer to pay for it, I use Carma's Massa Ticino Tropic, which is hands down the most workable and tastiest fondant I've ever come across. Unfortunately, it's pricey, and I still have to add the CMC, shortening and extra powdered sugar, but that's just because it's so hot here.

irum Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 4:39am
post #5 of 10

thanks alot Mariana...
I am asking you all this... as I am new to cake making and its toooo hot wear I live and there is no readymade fondant available here... except Wilton, (which is bit expensive + not good).

1 last question.... do you keep ur cake in refregrator after putting fondant on it? as my fondant becomes very sticky and starts sweating if I put my cake in refregrator.... and if i keep it in room temperature, again its a mess...

Marianna46 Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 10

I never refrigerate a fondant-covered cake, which of course means I can't use any fillings that need refrigeration (like fresh fruit and custard). The condensation that forms on it when you take it out is enough to ruin it, and in a hot, humid climate it will never dry. There is one way around this, but it's a bit of work: put your finished cake in a box, then wrap the box in several layers of plastic wrap before you put it in the fridge or freezer. When you take it out, let it come to room temp before you unwrap it. Then the condensation will form on the outside of the box and not on the surface of your cake.
Oh, yes, one other thing: besides making your fondant a little sturdier for hot climates, it helps not to put too humid an undercoating on the cake. I generally use ganache instead of buttercream or apricot jam, which are the more common things to use, and make it a very thin layer. Hope some of this will help your cakes. I know when I moved to Cancún from a very cool, dry climate, it took me a while to find a good solution to these problems. Best of luck!

irum Posted 26 Apr 2012 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 10

thank u soooooo much dear... really appreciate all your help... I am residing is UAE, which is a complete desert and temperature is very high here more then half of the year....

i will definatly try your suggestions soon icon_smile.gif

God Bless you icon_smile.gif

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 10

The updated version of the recipe is the one I use. Works great every time. Just don't skip the straining step! (ask me how I know....LOL icon_biggrin.gif )

irum Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 10

hi.... thanks for replying unctoothlady... I made the original recipe, it was very good in taste but i had alot of problem making bows and flowers.... I tried but it didnt work, it was not much flexible and finally I had to make some MMF to make accents for the cake.

I got some really good advices from marianna icon_smile.gif

what about the latest version... is it good in hot weather & is it good for making accents?

Marianna46 Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 9:55pm
post #10 of 10

To be honest, irum, I never use fondant for bows and flowers - in this climate they really need to be gumpaste. For things that need to be even sturdier, I use pastillage (there's a recipe in the recipe section here). It dries even harder, but it also dries faster, so you have to work with it quickly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%