Has Anyone Ever Heard Of These?

Baking By OMCupcakes Updated 17 Apr 2012 , 12:41am by PinkLotus

OMCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMCupcakes Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 3:23am
post #1 of 13

Cupcake Push Pops! They seem cool, but I've never thought to try it! Has anyone used these? Any reviews or tips?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/88614402/cupcake-push-pops-buy-as-many-as-you?ref=sr_gallery_3&ga_includes%5B0%5D=tags&ga_search_query=cupcake+push+pop&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Happy cupcaking icon_smile.gif

12 replies
traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 13

I've never done them myself, but I've seen them on here. Did you try searching the forums? It seems like people were saying they were a pain, or maybe that was just what I was thinking. icon_smile.gif

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 13

I don't think the problem with these has been so much the difficulty as it has been the cost. I haven't been able to find the little containers for less than $1.10 each and that's very prohibitive as far as I'm concerned. thumbsdown.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 13

I've made them. Messy to make, kind of a PITA and you've got to get at least $3 for them.

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 13

Agree with leah_s.....the container's are not cheap to get, messy to make, (although they are cool looking when done) and in order for you to make anything on them you have to charge about $3.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 4:52am
post #6 of 13

I haven't found them for less. I'm still debating whether to add them. A book is published on them. Mine is in the mail from Amazon.

Amazon has the pops, but I think they are $19/12.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 13

I've made them but for family. I got 100 containers for a little more than $50 and a stand for them. It's in my photos, but on a collage because my niece's party was a little bit crazy. Lots of kids ice skating.

I have the book, but to tell you the truth, the book added nothing to my skills.

You use the same container to cut the cake and push it down, fill with buttercream, more cake, etc. They were a pain to make.

If you buy 100 containers, then they come to 50 cents each.

imagenthatnj Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 13

This is where I got them. Less than 50 cents each. I now have enough for the next birthday party, since I only needed 28, which is what the stand can hold. I also hated washing and drying them.

The stand is on the bottom. I got the white one.

http://www.jbprince.com/table-service/clear-push-up-large.asp

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 13

I love teh idea of these, and hve wanted to make them for a while now, but all I see is a major mess when the kiddos are eating them.

imagenthatnj Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 13

I was observing 24 girls and 2 boys at the party. The boys picked up the top piece of cake with their fingers (including frosting and pushed it into their mouths. Most of the girls had dessert plates in front of them so they pushed the cake up and dumped into the plates and ate the cake with forks. But they did look cute on the stand and all the mothers were impressed.

A lady went around and collected the plastic containers, and now she has a whole set of 28 of them, I guess.

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 10 Apr 2012 , 9:26pm
post #11 of 13

My daughter and I both got the cake pops forms for christmas. So far they havent proven to work very well and neither of us have had any sucess with them coming out completely round without it overflowing from the mold. maybe there is a more dense cake recipe ... Good luck icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 7:55am
post #12 of 13

Thanks Imagen,

Because my daughter is 17, she likes to come up with fun ideas for her friends. When she does these, I have to decide if they are worth adding to the site. I already do the cupcakes in a jar and that seems to be a real crowd-pleaser. I think the pops would be just as popular and also with the younger kids who don't need a glass container to play with.

My jar cupcakes are $6.00. The problem is, short of less ingredients, they will be just as time-consuming for 1/2 the price. My Mason jars are .75 ea. But the equivalent of one cupcake that sells retail for $3 actually gets about $1.75 extra each. I use a .50 spoon/fork and a minimal amount of ribbon. Those pops will be a pain in comparison, but I really like the idea. I do a good dessert buffet business and these would work well because I can make the stand (covered foam) and a ribbon coordinate with the decor with little monetary outlay.

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 12:41am
post #13 of 13

Someone gave me one once, and I thought it was a brilliant idea. It looked so cute! But then I went to eat it, and it wasn't so brilliant. It was kind of a pain to eat, and the way it came out, the cake to icing ratio was all wrong!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%