Newb With Question Re: Decorating With Candies

Decorating By lorraineg57 Updated 8 Apr 2012 , 4:02pm by lorraineg57

lorraineg57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorraineg57 Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 6

.My daughter and I made Easter Chick cupcakes. The basic ideas is: iced cupcake, donut hole for the head, shaped marshmallow tail, dip in nuked yellow icing, attach beaks and eyes. The recipe called for the beaks to be made of flattened, shaped starburst candies. While the beaks weren't hard to make (half a starburst candy flattened into an oval and folded in half), we had a terrible time getting them to adhere to the heads as the beaks I think were too heavy. We finally got them to stick using more icing. Put them in containers and when I got up this morning, the beaks (starburst candy) is very soft and tacky.

Just wondering for future reference is there's something else we could have used that may have worked better?

Tried to post a pic but it won't show up for some reason.
LL

5 replies
lorraineg57 Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 6

sorry 'bout that.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 6

If you put it in a closed container the candy may have collected moisture from the icing. You could have used fondant for the beaks which would have worked too. Maybe your candy was not thin enough and too heavy.

lorraineg57 Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashley

If you put it in a closed container the candy may have collected moisture from the icing. You could have used fondant for the beaks which would have worked too. Maybe your candy was not thin enough and too heavy.

We did put them in a closed container. They seem to be drying out since I've taken the lids off. This was our first attempt at decorated cupcakes. The Starbursts are surprisingly heavy! Next time I'll try rolling them much thinner. Thanks so much for the response.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with cashley. fondant would also work

lorraineg57 Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

I agree with cashley. fondant would also work

Would fondant get soft and tacky if in a closed container? The thinned icing we dipped in dried to a hard, glaze-like, shiny finish, so there isn't an issue of that drying out. Actually a very nice finish for something like this. Of course, never having done this before, our dipping technique (and resulting finish) leaves much to be desired (lots of runs and such). But we really had fun doing it and I'm looking forward to being able to refine the technique. (She's 21 btw and we were both a bit slap-happy doing these at midnight last night, lots of laughter and general goofiness.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%