Free Cricut Cake Machine

Decorating By mommynana Updated 8 Apr 2012 , 9:23pm by mommynana

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 2:56am
post #1 of 8

Someone gave me a free cricut cake machine, And I never used one or even have an idea on how to use it. I do know it`s missing the key board overlay can that be bought separately?

7 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 3:18am
post #3 of 8

The keyboards are specific to the cartridges. I'm not sure if you can buy them seperately but if you buy another cartridge it comes with the keyboard overlay for those designs. You can get decent deals on cartridges on eBay.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 3:19am
post #4 of 8

when you say the keyboard overlay do you mean the plastic cover for the keyboard . if so you really can do without that . the cartridges will have overlays that are placed over the keyboard

mommynana Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 8

[quote="sillywabbitz"]The keyboards are specific to the cartridges. I'm not sure if you can buy them seperately but if you buy another cartridge it comes with the keyboard overlay for those designs. You can get decent deals on cartridges on eBay.[/quot

Oh Thank you so much. I kind of figured, But I was`t sure. How hard are they to use? very...Or not so much.

FleurDeCake, thank you also. But I have that, sillywabbitz knew the one,I just was`t sure if they came with the cartridges, Cuz i have`t bought any yet

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 8

The keyboard and cartridges are super easy to use. The hard part is the medium you use: icing sheets, gumpaste, fondant or modeling chocolate. Different people have had different experiences Some have great success with fondant and gumpaste but there seem to be tricks as far as rolling out super thin and letting it set up a bit.

So far I have only used edible image paper by Lucks but I'm looking forward to trying the icing sheets from Icing Images and the Wilton Sugar Sheets as well. They're expensive but they're clean and ready to go whenever I need them. I only use the cricut for lettering at this point because I don't want to hassle with the fondant etc but I think it would be worth experimenting. You may want to google Linda McClure, she has a youtube video that talks about her home made gumpaste and she has great techniques for getting it to work with cutters. Good luck.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 8

I've taken Linda McClure's class and her methods work if you follow them to a "T". Her gumpaste works great but frosting sheets are some much easier to use and are ready whenever I need them (she also has videos on using them). I've tried several brands and have had the best lubk with the premium sheets from icingimages.

mommynana Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all so much for your replies, I guess I`ll give it a try, Now to see where I can buy the cartridges.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%