How To Make Owl Cakepop Like These Ones?

Baking By mmhassa2 Updated 9 May 2012 , 11:29am by jamawoops

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 7

I really want to make these but not sure how to achieve the different body/head color as in the photo:

Is that sugar crystals used?
What are used for the eyes?

Thanks!

6 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 7 Apr 2012 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 7

Looks like they were double dipped to achieve the effect. Base color first then after setting up it was dipped with the contrasting color and covered with glitter while still wet.

Brunesbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brunesbaby Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 6:50am
post #3 of 7

I agree with carmijok about the body. the eys look like fondant or sprinkles with chocolate dots on them.

mo63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo63 Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 7:49am
post #4 of 7

yes they have been dipped first in the lighter colour and then when dry dipped by the top of the head and then side on.

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 7

The eyes could be mini MM??

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 9 May 2012 , 4:52am
post #6 of 7

Bumping this thread as I'll be making these this weekend. Im not sure how I can dip the 2nd time to get the sharp V around beak/nose? Should I dip in the lighter color and "paint" the darker color and then add sugar crystals?

I really think the eyes adds to the cuteness of these....if I add melting chocolate to white fondant, will the fondant melt etc? Thanks

jamawoops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamawoops Posted 9 May 2012 , 11:29am
post #7 of 7

Don't paint. That will be messy. Just dip the whole pop in the first color and let that set up. Then dip at an angle in the second color on one side and repeat on the other side. Dipping at an angle will give you the V. Then sprinkle with sugar crystals and let dry.

For the eyes I would use fondant. Cut out little circles of white fondant and use the melted chocolate for the pupils and a white dot of royal icing for the glint part. If you aren't packaging these you could use buttercream for the eyes. Or another option is to buy the eyes premade and stick them on. I saw them once at Walmart in the cake decorating aisle. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%