Wilton Gumpaste Recipe Question

Baking By townsendkyra Updated 6 Apr 2012 , 11:55pm by carmijok

townsendkyra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
townsendkyra Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 12:40am
post #1 of 7

I just mixed together the gum-tex, glucose, and powdered sugar and set it aside to rest. My question is, Is it supposed to be a beige color or is it supposed to be white?

6 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 1:15am
post #2 of 7

Hi, i use to make this , when i taught the g/p flowers at michaels. Now, we use the prepackage. the g/p you mixed is not white but the color you said. If you will use the prepackaged next time, you will never go back to making it. Trust me. I love wilton premade and or make nick lodges recipe, which is on the internet. hth
After you knead this you have made, it should be a little lighter in color, the best if remember.

townsendkyra Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 4:26am
post #3 of 7

Will it lighten up when i knead in the rest of the powdered sugar or do I need to add coloring to make it white?

townsendkyra Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 4:31am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by townsendkyra

Will it lighten up when i knead in the rest of the powdered sugar or do I need to add coloring to make it white?

im sorry its apparently way to late for me to be typing or reading. lol so ignore the part about will it lighten. Still need to know if adding white coloring will make it a pure white. im making easter lilies and i really need a pure white color.

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 7

I made this before and didn't like it because of the color. It seemed dull no matter what color I used (although I didn't try coloring it white). I stick with the premade now.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 7

I make my own g/p and it always looks kind of ivory. It will dry completely white, but if you want REALLY white, you could always add white coloring to it. What I don't like is the smell.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 7

Take the 40% coupon from Michaels or Hobby Lobby and go buy the Wilton pre-made stuff and save the other for projects that don't need to be pure white. I love this gum paste. It dries fast and very white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%