Cake Smash Cakes

Decorating By sunshinefred Updated 6 Apr 2012 , 1:43am by sunshinefred

sunshinefred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunshinefred Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 9:24am
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone,

Can any of you who make cakes for 1 year old's cake smashes tell me what type of cake and icing you use? I have been making cakes for cake smash sessions, I have been using sponge cakes or vanilla butter cakes and standard butter icing. I deliver the cakes the day before the shoot and they are kept in the fridge until an hour or two before the session. The kids have apparently been having trouble 'smashing' the cakes, with the cake and icing being too hard. I am thinking that it is just a matter of needing to take the cakes out of the fridge for a longer period before the shoot, but I wanted to check that there wasn't a particular type of cake and/or icing that I should be using that would be really easy for little fingers to destroy?

4 replies
leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 10:18am
post #2 of 5

I am in agreement with you. Just take it out of the fridge a little earlier.

JaniceBest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaniceBest Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, the cake has to be at room temperature. I make a plain yellow cake with vanilla buttercream. It's hard when cold but softens enough when the little fingers arrive.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 5

The cake needs to be at room temperature to smash. I agree with the other poster's. Cake needs to be taken out of the fridge earlier. The cake and icing type are fine.

sunshinefred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunshinefred Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 1:43am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone, I felt that was the answer but promised the photographer I'd as around to see what others were using.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%