How Do You Pasturize Egg Whites?

Baking By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 5 Apr 2012 , 6:56am by The_Sugar_Fairy

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 5

How do you pasturize egg whites? I have a container of egg whites not individual eggs. Can anyone help me? So far I can't find anything about it on the internet (just how to do it with individual eggs). Thanks!

4 replies
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 5

I think I've figured it out... I watched a video on how to make Swiss Meringue Buttercream and she heats the eggs (and sugar) in a pot (constantly whisking) over another pot of boiling water until it reaches 140 degrees.

So I'll try that but without the sugar and I'd like to leave it to cool down first. Does anyone know if this sounds right?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 5:49am
post #4 of 5

Eggs must meet 160 degrees to be safe, per the egg board and the FDA. But this is just heating. Pasteurization is a process invented by Louis Pasteur. It is a specific process to each individual product designed to prevent the organisms in a product from becoming harmful. There are home methods, but to specifically mimic the process is difficult without proper equipment.

Any time anyone needs a food safety question answered, googling any random site on the web is not necessarily accurate. It's just someone writing something on the web that they may or may not know anything about. Only the official, .gov, or FDA sites should be used as a definitive answer on food safety.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 6:56am
post #5 of 5

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%