Help! Cream Cheese Frosting Sliding Under Fondant

Decorating By ihena81 Updated 3 May 2012 , 8:23pm by ihena81

ihena81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihena81 Posted 3 Apr 2012 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone!

I badly need some advice that will rescue my cake which is in progress. I´ve made a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. The cake is covered with rolled fondant (the cake bible). After covering the cake, I refrigerated it, but I noticed the frosting has started sliding under the cake. I read somewhere that it could be temperature or reaction with the acidity in the fondant. But the question is: how do I save the cake? It will be displayed tomorrow evening, but it´s my sister´s wedding so I don´t have much time to redo major things. Suggestions are welcomed, pls!!

3 replies
countrygal7782 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygal7782 Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 3:18am
post #2 of 4

Don't know for sure, but it sounds to me like to put too much icing on the cake before you covered it in fondant. You only need a thin layer of icing on the cake, just enough to act like a glue to hold the fondant on. If you get too much on it, the weight of the fondant will squish it out around the bottom of the cake. That is a lesson I learned the hard way when I first started using fondant.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 5:36am
post #3 of 4

I put a full layer of cream cheese buttercream under fondant. The buttercream must be cold and hard. You have to work fast. Cover the cake as gently as you can. If you have any seepage because the buttercream got a little warm, wipe it off and either attach the fondant to the board or just put it beack in the refrigerator. I do both. Round cakes are easier than square. With the extra time needed to manipulate the fondant on the square shape, the cream cheese does get softer.

Because of being gentle, my fondant edges are rounded over cream cheese.

ihena81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihena81 Posted 3 May 2012 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 4

Just to update everyone and future readers;

I took the fondant off, smoothened the cream cheese frosting and scraped some of it off (I realized I could go with a slightly thinner layer). Covered the cake with marzipan which held fine in room temperature. The combination of carrot cake, cream cheese frosting and marzipan was excellent! Highly recommended!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%