Question About 3D Cakes

Business By karukaru Updated 3 Apr 2012 , 9:17pm by smbegg

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 3 Apr 2012 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,
I wanted to know if you have a starting price regardless of the servings or if you charge per serving (like regular cakes.) Also, do you explain to the customer why is it much more expensive than regular cakes or do you just give them the price? I just got a request for a buttercream 3D monster truck cake. I am assuming the customer requested buttercream because it is cheaper than fondant (I charge $3 per serving vs. $3.50 for fondant) so she probably has no idea of how much time and effort it takes to carve and design a cake. Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 3 Apr 2012 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 4

I have a flat starting fee of $200. I do not do a per serving rate, cause I find that to be too difficult to figure out, but you do know if you made enough cake for 50. I figure what I think the time will be and the ingredients to come up with the price. Also, it avoids someone saying "Can I get a 3D purse for 2". Never gonna happen. I don't explain that 3D's cost more. I think they usually know that, but I will explain if asked, just never been asked. It usually goes something like this "I have a cake minimum of $150, $200 for 3D. Buttercream starts at $3.50 and fondat starts at $4.50".

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 3 Apr 2012 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

I have a flat starting fee of $200. I do not do a per serving rate, cause I find that to be too difficult to figure out, but you do know if you made enough cake for 50. I figure what I think the time will be and the ingredients to come up with the price. Also, it avoids someone saying "Can I get a 3D purse for 2". Never gonna happen. I don't explain that 3D's cost more. I think they usually know that, but I will explain if asked, just never been asked. It usually goes something like this "I have a cake minimum of $150, $200 for 3D. Buttercream starts at $3.50 and fondat starts at $4.50".

Thanks! That was my mistake. She just asked me about pricing for a monster truck cake and I told her that my buttercream starts at $3 and fondant at $3.50 and that pricing depended on flavors, level of difficulty, etc. I never told her about a flat fee. I did not know how to do it since I have never officially charged for a 3D cake. All of the ones that I have done have been for my kids, as gifts for people, or for my best friend and I usually just charge her a little bit over cost (but she always pays me more because she knows how much time and effort it takes to make one.) Thank you for your help. icon_biggrin.gif

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 3 Apr 2012 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 4

I have a minimum of $150 for carved cakes and that is about for a cake about 30 servings. As the # of servings goes up, the price goes up by $3-5 per serving, depending on the design. Each cake is unique and individually priced. Having a minimum price gets not serious people to go away quick.

Stephanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%