Where To Buy

Decorating By Nikajean Updated 3 Apr 2012 , 3:59am by BlakesCakes

Nikajean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikajean Posted 3 Apr 2012 , 1:43am
post #1 of 3

Hi I'm looking for some basic white rolled fondant. I don't know what brand or where to purchase it. Is the stuff they sell at Micheals any good? I only need enough for a batch of cookies.

2 replies
debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 3 Apr 2012 , 1:52am
post #2 of 3

Why not just whip up some of your own? MMF is pretty easy to make...and cheaper than buying it already made. The recipe I use is:

8oz. mini-marshmallows
2 tbls. water

1 pound powdered sugar

Put water and marshmallows in a bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute (or until marshmallows are melted) and add to powdered sugar and mix as much as you can, turn out on the counter and knead until mixed. If too dry, and a little shortening to your hands and knead some more to incorporate , too "loose", and more powdered sugar.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Apr 2012 , 3:59am
post #3 of 3

Sure, you can either buy a box of Wilton or a container of Duff's at Michaels--use a coupon!

The Wilton is a mild vanilla flavor (tastes much better than it did years ago) and if you want to change the flavor, a few drops of a good oil based extract or candy color can be kneaded in. If you want any colors, the little boxes of 4 colors each are pricey, but easy to use.

The Duff's fondant is candy melt based--perfect for flat applications like cookies. You need to nuke it for just a few seconds to get it to loosen up for kneading and in order to avoid stretching, I suggest cutting it out with your cookie cutter while on a cutting board that you put in the fridge for just a few minutes before transferring it to the cookie surface.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%