Wedding Cake For Asian Couple- "less Sweet/more Moist&q

Baking By kger Updated 2 Apr 2012 , 3:38pm by AnnieCahill

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 8

I met with a couple a few weeks ago for a tasting and the bride said she liked my cakes and we would be in touch. She is now requesting that I bake the cake using only 1/3 of the sugar and wants it to be more moist. We've been "arguing" back and forth over email and I have explained twice that I can not alter my recipes to remove 2/3 of the sugar because that is a flat bread and can not be torted to accommodate her 3 layers of fillings and so on.

Does anyone know of any kind of recipe that might accommodate their wishes? Groom is Chinese, bride is Vietnamese. She is the one with the cake demands, so I am assuming I need to look at Vietnamese style cake recipes? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

7 replies
Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 8

You could try a genoise/sponge cake lightly moistened with a light sugar syrup. Fill with whipped cream or another lightly sweetened filling.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 8

I had a similar request when I was in the wedding cake biz. Honestly, American cakes are what they are, and that is pretty sweet to some cultures. I wound up turning down the orders, because 1) unless the customer is willing to pay you to experiment with recipes, you will waste a lot of product and make no $ on this order; 2) in the end they will not be happy, no matter what you do.

I'll say it again, American style cakes are what they are. Ditto our frostings.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 8

I'm a little confused. This woman wants to order her cake from you but she doesn't like your cakes? I agree with Leah, no matter what you do she will not be happy.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 12:05am
post #5 of 8

The couple that I had was using the "your cakes are too sweet" to bargain down my price. I talked to someone I trusted who understood their culture who clued me in. I refused their order.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 12:52am
post #6 of 8

I get this all the time (large Asian population here). Carrot Ginger cake is a flavor I make specifically tailored for this group. It's not sweet at all but it is nice and moist. Paired with unflavord SMBC and it's a huge hit. PM me if you want the recipe.

Typical Asian bakery cakes are traditional sponge cakes (not American Hi-ratio) with some sort of fruit (mango is BIG) and non-dairy Bettercream. If you really want to seal the deal and give this gal what she's thinking, make a white sponge or genoise (NO SYRUP), make a mango curd between your layers and top it with Bettercream.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 1:34am
post #7 of 8

Generally speaking, the asian version of American chiffon cake is extremely popular. They prefer less sweet; Try this one

ASIAN CHIFFON CAKE [Richard Goh]
4 egg yolks
¼ c oil
60g sugar [approx 5 tb]
¼ c milk
4 oz all purpose flour [1 cup]
1 ts baking powder
¼ ts salt
1 ts vanilla extract
4 egg whites
½ ts cream of tartar
70g c sugar [5 3/4 tb]
Chiffon Cake Method.
8" round 3" deep 350°F 35 mins

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 8

Oh yeah Asian people are very particular about not to sweet anything. A girl with whom I used to work really enjoyed some cupcakes I made one year for Valentine's Day with Bettercreme icing (blech) that I was trying to use up. She was from Taiwan and basically they like very moist cakes with the whipped icing as FromScratch explained. I am not sure a genoise would cut it since you have to moisten the layers with simple syrup which of course would add to the sweetness. If she is impossible to please, refer to a bakery which specializes in Asian baked goods. Or you could try a chiffon recipe as auzzi suggested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%