Entering My First Competition....

Decorating By kmstreepey Updated 1 Apr 2012 , 10:51pm by kmstreepey

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 3

Do you have any advice for me? I'm planning on using cake dummies so I can take a little more time to decorate and make sure everything is perfect. Is that a good idea? Is there anything I should keep in mind through it all? I truly appreciate any advice you all can give! Thank you!!

2 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 12:46am
post #2 of 3

First, make sure you carefully read and follow the rules of the competition. Using dummies is fine if the rules of the competition allow it. Have a plan of how you are going to create and decorate your cake. I like to put my ideas and details on paper. Pay great attention to detail, even the smallest element of you cake is important. Work as neatly and cleanly as possible. If you add something to your cake and you are not happy with it, take the time to change it. I mentioned to have a plan before you start, but if in the process of decorating your cake you come up with something you think is better or will have more impact, don't be afraid to change it. Although I start with what I think is a good plan it often changes and most times I'm happy I made the change. When I enter a competition, I never expect to win, but I do expect to challenge myself. My first 2 competitions I took 2nd place in my class and the 3rd time was a charm! I won Grand Prize in the Divisional show. I was totally shocked! You want to do something original and creative with a difficulty factor to the best of your ability. Don't forget to pay attention to your cake board. It is an important piece of you entry. Neatness, Neatness, Neatness! Good luck and have fun with your entry!

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you, Price! I've already started on a couple of sketches and ideas, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do. The competition show is on the 22nd, so I have a little time. The rules allow cake dummies and I thought having more time to focus on getting all the decorations perfect might benefit me.

My potential designs are fairly simple, but with a technique I'm working on that isn't easy and that I haven't seen before. So I'm hoping simple is okay as long as the work is clean and original. Is that a good assumption?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%