Need Help With This Receipe

Baking By platinumlady Updated 3 Apr 2012 , 2:10am by platinumlady

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 5:45am
post #1 of 5

I found a recipe on her a couple of years ago and really fell in love with it. However, now I only do scratch recipes. And this recipe calls for one box of white cake mix. And all the brides I've talked to prefer scratch. So I'm trying to redo the recipe without the cake mix but I'm having trouble can anyone help...here's the original recipe:

WHITE VELVET WEDDING CAKE
A delicious, rich white cake with a tender crumb that can only be described as "velvety"! Pair with CakeBoss Raspberry Filling and CakeBoss Buttercream for a wedding cake that will earn rave reviews!

Makes 7 1/2 cups batter, enough for two full 8" rounds or one 9x13" sheet.

1 box cake mix
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup + 2 tbsp cake flour (NOT all-purpose flour)
1/8 tsp salt

1 1/3 cups water
3 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter (lightly salted)
1 cup sour cream
-----------------------------------------------------------------

1. In a large bowl, put water, eggs, melted butter and sour cream. Mix well with paddle attachment.

2. Add cake mix, sugar, cake flour, and salt.

3. Mix with paddle attachment at medium speed for approximately 2 minutes, or until most lumps are worked out. It is not necessary to work out all the lumps.

Pour into prepared pans and bake at 325 until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a crumb or two clinging to it.

Thank you in advance. It was one of the favorites before I went to all scratch.

4 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 6:16am
post #2 of 5

I don't make white cakes for weddings, but one of my cakes has a white cake as the base. It is one of my favorite tasting cakes and is the one I will use if I ever just need a white cake. It is butter based. It does rely heavily on vanilla bean paste and/or homemade vanilla extract. Pm me for the recipe. Susan

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 7:15am
post #4 of 5

Rose Levy Beranbaum's "White Velvet Buttercake" recipe would probably come close, but there are a few scratch WASC recipes around that use sour cream and hence may be better for torting etc.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 3 Apr 2012 , 2:10am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for the responses. I'll check out those links.
Evoir I use the scratch wasc for my regular white cakes. Sometimes I may sub the Almond for Vanilla just depending on what the client wants. But I'll check the ones you all sent thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%