Friday Night Cake Club 3/30/12

Decorating By catlharper Updated 2 Apr 2012 , 12:45am by SammieB

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 2:42am
post #1 of 17

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Who's up? Whatcha workin on?

Cat

16 replies
catlharper Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 2:45am
post #2 of 17

Hi everyone! This week has been fairly easy since what I've been working on has been parts for upcoming cakes. I did finally post the wedding cake I told you about last week. It's the first one in my albums. I was very very happy with the way it came out.

So this week I made a giraffe, a monkey and a record album. Next week brings me lots more but I actually have time to do a scrapbooking weekend with friends! (ok, Little League is in there too but I will have HOURS to work on my book!)

What do you all have going on?

Cat

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 3:14am
post #3 of 17

Making Wizard of Oz cupcakes for my niece's cast party!

catlharper Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 3:16am
post #4 of 17

Oooooo, those sound interesting! What exactly are you doing with them to make them Wizard of Oz?

Cat

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 3:27am
post #5 of 17

Yay! FNCC!! I have not seen ya'll in a LOOOONNNGGG time!! Hope everyone is doing great and moving along with their orders! Tonight, I am FINISHED. OMG...finished before midnight! Is this allowed?? te hehehehe!!! I only had 3 orders to fill today, a 3 layer baby shower cake, a dinosaur cake for my nephew and my first cake for the Spring! Still having trouble believing I am finished for the night...Happy Caking! Can't wait to see the photos posted later!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 4:30am
post #6 of 17

working on an order tonight!! eeee! hello kitty type cake and cupcakes. sooo much pink and purple and red going on right now, but i totally needed a break. had a rough week and I'm surprised i'm doing so well knowing that i'm behind :p

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 4:36am
post #7 of 17

Hello all, I am working on cupcakes tonight, Will be working on Easter Cookies thru the weekend. Making my Jumbo Chocolate Easter Eggs with the hidden surprise(s) in them. And.. if time permits some flowers.

I would like to know about those WofO cupcakes also.

catlharper Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 4:39am
post #8 of 17

Cupcakes seem to be popular for Easter this year! I keep seeing more people saying that they are going to do some. We, too, will be doing cupcakes for Easter...half "chick" cupcakes and have "nest" cupcakes.

KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 4:45am
post #9 of 17

Ahhh, I got done early today with the birthday cakes and 1 wedding cake... so I'm taking this spare time to clean out and reorganize all my cake stuff. Where in the world does all this stuff come from?!!?! lol.... but, all my decorating tips are now nicely organized, as is all the other random miscellaneous things I have.

This wedding cake I had, though... whew.... not a hard cake, but for the life of me I just kept drawing blanks on it. They wanted a "very traditional white wedding cake, 4 tiers, with 'frills'".... It's been sooooo long since I've done anything traditional, I even played around with a dummy cake yesterday just to get ideas! I'd forgotten how much I love piping and what not. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

catlharper Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 5:02am
post #10 of 17

That was me with my most recent wedding cake. All they said was black and white with some red accents. I think it's easier when they have a clear vision than when they just hand it off to me<G>. I do love the way it turned out tho.

catlharper Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 5:40am
post #11 of 17

Well, I'm off to bed. Up really early for Little League Opening Day and I'm Team Mom. See ya'll next week!

Cat

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 6:22am
post #12 of 17

I haven't gotten to do a cake in weeks! Tonight I just got done with my biggest cake ever, 4 tiers which I know is nothing for some of you, but it's not small feat in my tiny kitchen! It's a grooms cake for one of my very best friends who's getting married tomorrow. His fiancee and I came up with a design based off his love of movies (he and 2 other of our close friends used to be a projectionist at Carmike back when they used film, heh), and it's a bunch of film reels stacked with a popcorn bucket on top. I got with one of our other buddies and am using an old movie reel for a cake stand that he had a souvenir, and several of the film reels for decorations around the cake board. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out! You can definitely tell a pro didn't do it, or at least I can, but I know they will love it.

I also expected to only be making a cake for 50-60, but the bride called and said more people ended up RSVPing this week, so we bumped it up to 120. Love getting to do so many flavors too! Red Velvet, Carrot, Strawberry, all with Cheesecake flavored SMBC. It's amazing I finished the cake without gaining 5 lbs snacking on scraps!

catlharper Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 4:54pm
post #13 of 17

Sammie, I rarely do 4 tiers either...usually doing 3 tiers or less...so I know what you mean about it being a "big" cake for you. I did one last November and it seemed HUGE! LOL! And, yes, I know it's nothing to some of the cakers on here who do 5 and 6 tiered cakes but it's big for us who don't usually deal with that big of an event. As a movie buff I can't WAIT to see your cake! Let us know here when you post it!

Cat

SammieB Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 4:01am
post #14 of 17

Cat, here's the final pic with all the accessories! I had to wait to post any pictures until after the groom got to see it. I actually showed up as they were taking pictures outside at the reception place (at LP Field, how cool is that?! Huge Titans fan...) and he had to cover his eyes as I carried it up. I was mostly pleased! Of course it's easy to nitpick your own work, and I wish I had had a better way to do the metal part of the movie reel, but I was too chicken to dry out fondant discs afraid they would crack if I didn't get the dowels cut the right height. So I covered cake boards in fondant and sprayed those a metallic silver, but the edges were a little rough. Especially when it was next to the gorgeous, and extremely well detailed wedding cake. But he was thrilled, and it tasted fabulous which is the most important part so I went home happy. I was so glad I could do this for them!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2299461/movie-reel-cake

catlharper Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 4:46am
post #15 of 17

I just went out to look at it and its awesome! Love it! As not only a movie lover but someone who worked in a theater for quite a few years I simply love that you used the reel and the trailer packs in there too! Too cool!

I have made a fondant reel before but, like you, didn't trust that it could hold any weight at all so it was put on top of the cake as part of the topper with real film wrapped around it. So I think you were smart not to use fondant. However, here is a thought for you...if there is a next time...maybe cover the cardboard with fresh fondant so it would not crack? Since we throw Oscar parties every year I'm sure to be asked to make a cake similar to what you have and that is what I plan to try...who knows if that would work<G>.

Cat

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 5:38am
post #16 of 17

Very Well done!

SammieB Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 12:45am
post #17 of 17

Thanks for the suggestions and compliments! I actually did use fresh fondant, made it just a few hours before. Actually it didn't really crack, I put lines in it to look like the metal reel. However, when I covered the boards the cardboard edge cut into the fondant (probably it was too thin, but I figured why waste a thick layer on fondant on a board, and risk getting random dents in it) and made it break off. So you can see the corrugated board in some places, not in other. Next time I will have a different plan!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%