Fondant Issue

Decorating By toobzyone Updated 8 Apr 2012 , 4:21am by toobzyone

toobzyone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toobzyone Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 8:14am
post #1 of 4

I am new to working with fondant. I have covered two cake now with fondant in my pastry class and chef said both were beautiful. The problem arises later, when I have the cake at home, anywhere from hours later to the next day and the fondant seems to release in large bubbles here and there on the fondant. It seemed to be smooth and tight when I initially put the fondant on. Everything tastes find, it just doesn't look great any longer. Fortunately these were not given to individuals, but really want to figure out the issue so I can correct it before I have a couple of birthdays cakes coming up that I need to make.

thank you, in advance, for any suggestions!

3 replies
Momof5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof5kiddos Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 4

i have heard that this can be caused by decorating a cake that is too cold. as the cake warms, the air tries to escape causing bubble pockets. hope that helps!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 1:40am
post #3 of 4

Ah, cake tumors...Here's a guide I wrote when I had one show up one day. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/search?q=cake+tumors

toobzyone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toobzyone Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 4:21am
post #4 of 4

Both times we were working with cake we had baked and frozen, she has us fill, crumb coat and chill again, then a layer of butter cream before the fondant, but essentially we keep the cake cold and when I have noticed the problem has been after transport home, when the cake has had sufficient time to warm. I will try your tips, thank you both.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%