Help ... Royal Icing Not Smooth !

Decorating By Pria Updated 30 Mar 2012 , 3:03pm by cakewhiz

Pria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pria Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 4:58am
post #1 of 6

I have a major problem, I needed to ice an entire cake in royal icing. The cake was not a fruit cake so I could not do the plaster one side and wait 8 hours thing. Now I have iced the cake and I tried to get it as smooth as I possibly can but it looks very uneven and untidy.

The cake has been drying now for about 8 hours. How do I remedy the situation to make it look smooth ? Any ideas ? The cake will dry for another 8 more hours before I can get to it.

Please help !

5 replies
Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 5:20am
post #2 of 6

I've used a little water to smooth out little imperfections on cookies. Maybe try that with a paper towel or brush? Hope this helps a little.

cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 5:36am
post #3 of 6

Try making your royal icing thin enough so that you can pour it over your cake. I have done this with cake dummies I use for display. I raise the tier on a round pan and pour on the thinned royal icing and let it drip off. It came out very smooth. Again, this was done on a dummy cake tier, but thought you might be able to do this on your cake.

Pria Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 6:31am
post #4 of 6

Hi CakeWiz....

I also thought about that... Let me try it and I will post back. Lord Help me... !

Pria Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 8:27am
post #5 of 6

Crisis averted ! I made the royal icing runnier but it was not as runny as I hoped it would be. I was scared to make it too runny and have no way of redemption once on the cake. It went on nicely but it was still a mission to get it smooth.

I used a scalloped scrapper (the ones with the design on the side) and I made ridges on the sides of the icing. The top I just did in a back and forth motion. That scraper thing did the trick. Sure the top is not as neat as I wanted it to be, but it looks much better than before. See image for cake after 2nd royal icing attempt.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions !

cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 6

Pria.....I am so happy this worked for you! I didn't know where you posted your photo. I did check your gallery of photos, and you do beautiful work. I noticed you are from South Africa. Are all the cakes you make covered in royal icing? It is so wonderful to help someone on the other side of the world. I am glad this idea worked for you! Sincerely, Judy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%